• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rent a DOM Bender?

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Anyone ever rent a DOM bender? Want to do a cage but dont want to spend the $1000+ on a bender.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
JD2 Benders with dies don't cost that much.
It may be cheaper just to get one of the many custom cages that are available for the EBs.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I had my old bronco's cage built locally by a 4x4 shop for under a grand.

By the time you purchase and ship a cage and then get it welded you might be better off with a local custom cage.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What tubing you planning on using? It sounds like we might be building a couple cages over here in the near future. Two good friends bought broncos this week and both want cages done.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I was thinking 2" OD on the bars that need bends. Maybe 1.75 on the straight kickers.

I just need to do two hoops (front to back hoop style cage) and a total of 6 maybe 8 bends.

I could buy a pre bent kit but thats taking the easy way out right. I like to do things myself I guess.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I was toying with the idea of an extreem custom fab cage from ebay. Where did you get yours, what issues are you running into?

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
JD2 Benders with dies don't cost that much.
It may be cheaper just to get one of the many custom cages that are available for the EBs.

Manual JD2 with a 2" die is $1000. Thats the one I was looking at.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
That's how I ran mine with 2" main bars going front to back. I have an extra set of the main bars bent up, but not sure if they are spoken for, or it my friends want something different. I can e-mail pics.I couldn't get em to load on here.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Whats better pro tools or jd2?

Email me some pics of those bars. Maybe they will work. Are they identical to yours? Im right around the corner in marina del rey.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
i found the JD2 bender for 295.00 and the 2" die for 299.00. i say you could get it all with shipping for around 700.00
Find a local vendor who has it available to save on shipping. An industrial machine shop may have them for sale.

If you have to DIY for cheap, Find a local shop with a bender to make your bends, it usually cost like $5. - $10. a bend.

Tough choice, rent, buy or DIY.
I found a JD2 bender locally and he sold it at the internet price, they had the dies I needed so I got it right away without a shipping charge. I saw it as an investment in a new tool. It has already paid for itself with all the custom truck piperacks that I've built for customers/friends.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
They are the same as our two cages. They need to be trimmed for proper height. MDR is like 15 minutes away. I was driving up there to killer shrimp all the time before it closed. I'm at rosecrans and the 405. I'm have no job so I'm around all the time.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
They are the same as our two cages. They need to be trimmed for proper height. MDR is like 15 minutes away. I was driving up there to killer shrimp all the time before it closed. I'm at rosecrans and the 405. I'm have no job so I'm around all the time.

Maybe I can swing by this weekend and check them out. PM me your cell.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Just get a pre-fabbed cage in "kit" form. I got my kit from Extreme Custom Fab and only ordered the parts that had bends. I did the rest of the cage using straight tubing from a local metal supplier. That way, you can still get that "do-it-yourself" feel, and also add features that you want.

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
If you buy a bender, STAY AWAY FROM THE PRO TOOLS 105, it's garbage. I've owned the pro tools and my buddy had the jd model 3, hands down the best bender I've ever used. If you have the $$ the model 4 is as good as it gets.

Remember once you have the $$ invested in the bender, you need a welder, notcher or chopsaw/grinder, angle finders, clamps, etc, etc, etc. Also dom usually runs from $4-$7 a foot for tubing, ERW is usually about 1/2 that or a little more. Plus if you've never done it before the learning curve is fairly steep. It's harder than it looks when it comes to duplication and compound bends. Not saying it's impossible to do without screwing up a piece of tube but plan for waste.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Got the welder, chop saw n skills.... Done a few before. Just need the bender and the notcher. Sounds like the JD2 is the way to go!

Just got a metal quote

2" .120 HREW $42.58/20'
1 3/4" .120 DOM $114.56/20'
2" .120 DOM $175.56/20'

If you buy a bender, STAY AWAY FROM THE PRO TOOLS 105, it's garbage. I've owned the pro tools and my buddy had the jd model 3, hands down the best bender I've ever used. If you have the $$ the model 4 is as good as it gets.

Remember once you have the $$ invested in the bender, you need a welder, notcher or chopsaw/grinder, angle finders, clamps, etc, etc, etc. Also dom usually runs from $4-$7 a foot for tubing, ERW is usually about 1/2 that or a little more. Plus if you've never done it before the learning curve is fairly steep. It's harder than it looks when it comes to duplication and compound bends. Not saying it's impossible to do without screwing up a piece of tube but plan for waste.