• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replace Water Pump/ Harmonic Balancer??

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Getting ready to replace my rad./hoses/belts/ & upgrade to a 3-g alt(as well as get it back on the road;D). What's the consensus out there for going ahead & replacing the fact. h20 pump + harm. bal. while I'm in there?? My rig is a 1973 w/48K original miles & has never been apart. The h20 pump isn't leaking/showing any signs of failure... The harm. bal. is showing its age( the center ring has disentegrated ~1/8" inward) but looks no worse than when I bought it ~5yrs. ago( but hasn't been driven 1K in last 5 yrs). Opinions/Criticisms welcomed;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would leave the existing parts there. If the water pump is not leaking, shaft isn't wobbling, what's to say anything is wrong with it? Better chance you could get a bad part just to replace a good part. Unless you have problems just leave it.

The harmonic damper with a little surface cracks in the rubber. Probably just fine as well. If you have signs that it is slipping (timing marks don't line up anymore) then change it. 48k isn't anything for these engines.

I say save your money.

OP
OP
P

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Broncobowsher..Thanks 4 the input.I'm all 4 saving money/time & putting it where really needed;) , just trying to avoid cutting corners( by not replacing) & ??could this come back to bite me in the ass/leave me walking. BTW... I've seen a stock Harm. balancer come apart(albeit @6,500 rpm) on a 351W & it ate everything above/forward of it:cry:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I tend to agree with broncobowsher. But I think I would replace the balancer with the rubber deteriating doesnt matter that it only has 48,000 miles or so its the age that is the problem. A new balancer is only about $100. While a old one that goes bad wont nessesarily leave you walking its just insurance. I've also seen them come apart and not cause any damage but if you plan on turning some RPM's then replace it.
That said I have had a new balancer still uninstalled for probably 5 years for my 73 that has over 300,000 miles and the rubber is cracked also but I havent put it on yet. The balancer on my 71 with about 68,000 miles looks pretty decent but I'm considering replacing it but like the 73 I doubt I'll get around to it any time soon.
I'd do it now just because your in there.