• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Intake Gasket - Anything Else?

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I'm replacing my intake manifold gasket to fix a potential coolant leak. Is there any maintenance, upgrades, or swaps you'd recommend while I have the manifold off? I've got to remove a bunch of stuff to get the manifold off so I figured I'd get as much done as possible to avoid doing it again in the near future.

Thanks!

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
This could be a slippery slope. This is how most frame-off restos happen. Knowing what you have done to it already, or what your current setup is, might help others give you some ideas.

Will

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
This could be a slippery slope. This is how most frame-off restos happen. Knowing what you have done to it already, or what your current setup is, might help others give you some ideas.

Will

$10,000 later...

Obviously, there is a LOT that can be done to a Bronco and almost any excuse can end up being costly. I haven't done a lot of under-the-hood updates to the truck other than the following:

1. New Edelbrock 1403 carb w/ Electric Choke
2. Replaced driver side header gasket
3. All new spark plugs (Motorcraft)
4. Ford starter solenoid
4. Replaced body mounts, c-bushing, coils, and shocks (suspension)

Future Plans:
1. Replace the other header gasket & new bolts
2. New spark wires
3. LED lights
4. Install cold air intake tube

My Bronco is a street vehicle; it won't be used for much off-roading. I just want to make sure that it is in solid condition and it will get me Point A to B and then back again.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my 351C the oil sending unit was right there easy to get to so I changed it out. so look for things that will be easy to reach while your going into it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I always use four pieces of threaded rods in the corners to guide the intake down. This way the intake goes straight down and there is much less a chance of pushing a gasket out of place. Then start the other bolts before removing the threaded rods
I also use silicone only on the front and rear rails.
Good luck

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Hi, I always use four pieces of threaded rods in the corners to guide the intake down. This way the intake goes straight down and there is much less a chance of pushing a gasket out of place. Then start the other bolts before removing the threaded rods
I also use silicone only on the front and rear rails.
Good luck

I was just wondering about the front and rear rails. I'm using the Nashville Bronco's intake install video as a guide and he recommends using RTV instead of the Fel-Pro gaskets (https://youtu.be/vq7lfKvVm3Y?t=415). Is that the common opinion of this forum? I bought the Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV to secure the gasket to the engine.

Thanks!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I've always had good luck with all four gaskets. Things can get dicey if the heads and manifold are milled.
I use the gaskets, and use silicone gasket maker over the front and rear, a LITTLE extra in the corners. Good luck

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
Just went through it today, used permatex on fel-pro around the water ports on the intake and intake/head area, set the intake down, torqued the bolts to spec, took a while!! BTW was assisting the mechanic, so cannot take credit/blame until tested:p

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I use the studs also but in the vertical more central four holes. Very slight wipe of silicone around the intake ports and water ports on the heads and intake. Stick the gaskets on over the studs. Slip it right on over the studs drop it straight down and torque in place.

RTV on the ends is the only way to go. The rubber seals went the way of the DoDo - even GM and Ford stopped using them at the factory.

As far as what else to do while you are in there I keep it simple. Water neck gasket, thermostat, do the distributor since you have it out - points/condensor/cap if you have them. Maybe plug wires and plugs if you are feeling motivated. If you have any carb problems look at a rebuild if you are carb handy. If you are not carb handy leave it alone no need to add more variables to your project. Throw a new gasket under the distributor while you have it out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You won't have a better opportunity to replace the coolant and hoses.
The thermostat should be replaced if it's been in there a long time.

Also, the fuel filter and short piece of rubber hose to the carb should be looked at. That little hose if the cause of a lot of fires on old vehicles.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I was just wondering about the front and rear rails. I'm using the Nashville Bronco's intake install video as a guide and he recommends using RTV instead of the Fel-Pro gaskets (https://youtu.be/vq7lfKvVm3Y?t=415). Is that the common opinion of this forum? I bought the Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV to secure the gasket to the engine.

Thanks!

Using RTV for the end dams on the intake manifold is the norm these days. To get a good bond to the metal surfaces, you need to get the surfaces oil free. I like to use Chemtool or brake cleaner to clean any surfaces that get RTV sealaant

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Thanks for the input!

Re: Hoses - My plan is to replace all of the hoses as those are starting to go.

Re: Spark Plugs/Hoses - As mentioned before, I've replaced all of the spark plugs and I have been considering swapping out the spark wires just to put my mind at ease. I'm most likely going with the Ford Performance set unless options suggest other wires.

Re: Carb - The carburetor is only eight months old (Edelbrock 1403) so that doesn't need to be touched for a while.

Re: Fuel Filter - Any specific one you guys recommend? Or does it not matter?

Re: Thermostat - I have no idea how old it is so I'll replace it with a 180 degree. I noticed in the instructions for the Summit Racing thermostat that it recommends doing a full flush. I'll probably do one since all of the coolant is already out.

Re: Distributor - Didn't think about the gasket; thanks for the tip.