• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Mini spool

chriskent85

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you only considering drop in units? If so, you may want to check out the Aussie lockers assuming you're willing to step up to 31-spline axles. Otherwise, if you're okay swapping out carriers, then I would probably run the Eaton/Detroit Truetrac instead, as they're smoother on the street.

Nothing Special

A lunchbox locker like the LockRight should drop in place of your mini-spool without needing any extra parts. Also no gear setup, so that's your cheapest and easiest option.

If you're willing to spend more on parts (and labor if you don't think you can do a gear setup yourself), a TrueTrac would be smoother on the street, probably at least as strong as a LockRight, but not as positive traction if that's important to you.

Or if you want to spend more money but want the positive function of a true locker, a Detroit works like a LockRight but is a lot stronger. Or an ARB, eLocker or OX is stronger than a LockRight, provides open diff smoothness on road and spool performance when locked.

I've had Detroits in a CJ5 and my current Bronco, and a LockRight in a '95 F-150. They definitely have handling quirks, but I value the performance off-road and don't mind them on road.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran a Lock Right for a year on my non-DD EB. Only switched because I went with a different motor and exceeded the HP they are rated for. I didn't have any problems with it--it does want to spin the inside tire like all lockers do.

My Father-In-Law has been running them in his '75 front and rear for years. Only thing he's upgraded was front axle shafts.

And I have my complete front and rear Lock Rights if anyone is interested in them.