• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing oil pan

sigepkat

Hey all, I've decided to replace my oil pan (chasing down leaks) and while discussing w/a Mustang driving buddy, he mentioned he had a Mustang pan sitting in his garage w/nothing to do. This is the one that he has - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-20511/applications/make/ford - the compatibility list doesn't show Broncos, but I assume it would fit...Can anyone say for sure?

If it does fit, I'd like to change it to a screw on dipstick (seems like that would seal better. What's the best way to do that? It seems like I could drill the rivets out of the mounting plate on the stock pan then weld it to the new one...

Thanks,
Chris

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Is he giving it to you for free??

I just ordered a new pan from Duffs on Friday. It includes the pan, one piece gasket, oil pump pickup, dipstick (lokar) and dipstick tube (screw in style). While the $250 price tag was more than I wanted to spend, I figured it would be easyer than hitting local yards searching for a pan that may or may not work, or worse yet still leak.

The problem with that pan is you still need a dipstick and pickup. them two items alone are gona cost you $100-$150. Add in that one piece gasket for like $40.

I think your better off with the same kit I purchased in the long run. That pan looks way way way over kill for any bronco, and even over kill for any mustang out there. That's why he has it in his garage still maybe.

this is what I ordered after a year of searching a cheep pan replacement...they said they even throw in a free catalogue!
http://www.dufftuff.com/Rear_Sump_Oil_Pan_302_289_5_0L_V8_p/3647.htm

OP
OP
sigepkat

sigepkat

Yes, he's giving it to me for free, along w/the pickup, and I've already got the gasket.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I notice it doesn't have the relieve in the pan to clear the front diff.Since its a deep pan its closer than a stock pan. I have a 7 QT pan and it has the relieve in it, and I have a 3.5 inch lift.

Attachments

• new pan 005.jpg
    new pan 005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 25
  • new pan 003.jpg
    new pan 003.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
sigepkat

sigepkat

The front end of the pan is only about an inch lower than stock...

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
But its the back of the pan which is above the front diff, the front of the pan is above the track bar. My pan is not as deep in the front part, it looks like its deeper in the back than the one your getting, so you may be ok,just keep in mind when the front comes up, that it won't hit the pan.

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 15

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see where you mention it, but does it come with a new pickup tube as well?

How much lift on your Bronco sigepkat?

Paul

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
x-2 on how much lift do you have sigepkat, and yes DirtDonk(Paul) he has every thing needed to put it on.

OP
OP
sigepkat

sigepkat

just a 4.5 inch suspension lift.

I also picked up the universal dipstick today, what in the h am I supposed to do w/this thing?