• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing passenger side air vent assembly

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I was wondering about replacing the passenger side air vent assembly. It's clear that I'm going to have to make some more clearance with the fender in order to remove the old one and reinstall the new one.

Question is, do I have to take the fender all the way off or will I be able to get the back of it far enough out to make clearance?

Thanks in advance!
JB

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hate to say it but the fender has to come off. or the whole front clip has to slide forward about a foot.

70 sport WA

Contributor
Hate to say it but the fender has to come off. or the whole front clip has to slide forward about a foot.

Well, dang, that kinda sucks. But...I have to ask: No way to get to the major components under the dash, even with removing heater box, etc.?

Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Well, dang, that kinda sucks. But...I have to ask: No way to get to the major components under the dash, even with removing heater box, etc.?

Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

You have to unscrew the vent from the inside of the kick panel. The section sitting behind the fender is approximately 4.5 inches wide, so the fender needs to be at minumum 4.5" away from the kick panel in order to lift the vent out of the engine bay. Or, as stated, move the whole front clip forward about a foot and take it out. Either way, the fender needs to be moved significantly in order to gain enough clearance.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Bummer, it looks like I only need about 1" more to get it out. The inner fender already has a cut-out (factory), it's just the outer fender that's blocking.

THX,
-JB

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Look up underneath the passenger front tire. You can see the bottom portion of the vent and can tell how far you'll need to move things to get it out.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Quick update, I have confirmed that if you get the three screws from the passenger side door the bolts on top, and the one bolt holding the bottom of the fender to the inner fender, it is possible to get the passenger side bent out without removing the entire fender.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk