• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing stock three speed mtx

Blackstar

Now I know you've seen topics similar to this in the past but before you tell me to go off to the "topic search" section hear me out. I am looking to replace the stock three speed in my 71 but i am not looking to go out and spend $1000 plus on a brand spanking new tranny with all the bells and whistles. I am curious to know if i can go to a pick and pull, find a particular ford, pull the tranny, and have it direct bolt to my 302. I am looking for a four or five speed that will require little or no mods to make work...now driveshaft alterations are a given but aside from that what should i go out and look for?

Pics are entirely unrelated...but i got to get my money's worth out of the camera

Attachments

• Hill Climb Front.JPG
    Hill Climb Front.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Dawn Bronco.JPG
    Dawn Bronco.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You can find a 4 speed box fron a F100/150 4x4 and use the trans and adapter and use your D20 case. The F100/150 came with 1 speed T/case. Or you can find a later typ and use the trans and t/case(earley 80's) These are the granny box's hope this helps good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Late 60's to 76 I think they had only a single speed t/case 1/2 ton only The hard part is finding a small block or change the input shaft. ;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I believe that only the F100 came with the single speed, the f150 had the 2 speed at least in the late 70's which I belive was the last of the f100 4X4's. I say that based on the fact that I had a new 76 F150 & 77 F250 4X4 and was a dealership mechanic at the time. they didnt sell many F100's and dropped them shortly because of the single speed transfer case. Once again that as best I can remmeber and could be wrong

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Blackstar said:
Now I know you've seen topics similar to this in the past but before you tell me to go off to the "topic search" section hear me out. I am looking to replace the stock three speed in my 71 but i am not looking to go out and spend $1000 plus on a brand spanking new tranny with all the bells and whistles. I am curious to know if i can go to a pick and pull, find a particular ford, pull the tranny, and have it direct bolt to my 302. I am looking for a four or five speed that will require little or no mods to make work...now driveshaft alterations are a given but aside from that what should i go out and look for?

Pics are entirely unrelated...but i got to get my money's worth out of the camera

That's easy, depending on your motive for wanting a 4 or 5 speed. If it's to get a lower first gear, then find yourself an NP435. 100 bucks tops from a junkyard. If they want more, find a different yard. Wild Horses sells the Advance Adapters tranny to transfer case adapter for $390 or so. You might be able to find it elsewhere for a bit less, or be patient and shop used on this site and places like Ebay. With those parts in hand, it's a near-bolt in. Actually except for the hole you need to cut in the tunnel for the shifter it *is* a bolt in. You'll re-use the stock clutch, bell housing, flywheel, everything. It's the exact same overall length, and uses the stock cross member, so no driveshaft mods needed and no additional driveline vibration. Just make sure you get the right version of the NP435. Some details on this in the tech article section on this site. I did mine 8 years ago. Helped a friend do his in early 2004, total cost with used adapter was $300.

OP
OP
B

Blackstar

lars said:
That's easy, depending on your motive for wanting a 4 or 5 speed. If it's to get a lower first gear, then find yourself an NP435. 100 bucks tops from a junkyard. If they want more, find a different yard. Wild Horses sells the Advance Adapters tranny to transfer case adapter for $390 or so. You might be able to find it elsewhere for a bit less, or be patient and shop used on this site and places like Ebay. With those parts in hand, it's a near-bolt in. Actually except for the hole you need to cut in the tunnel for the shifter it *is* a bolt in. You'll re-use the stock clutch, bell housing, flywheel, everything. It's the exact same overall length, and uses the stock cross member, so no driveshaft mods needed and no additional driveline vibration. Just make sure you get the right version of the NP435. Some details on this in the tech article section on this site. I did mine 8 years ago. Helped a friend do his in early 2004, total cost with used adapter was $300.

What i'm after is a lower rpm at freeway speed...(always after that elusive "good gas milage fairy") will this tranny help with that as well? ?:? ?:?

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
In the tech section ------- to your left, JOn did a very nice trans article. That tells the ratios for all of them and you can compare , but you are going to spend quite a bit if you want to lower your RPMs on the superslab.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Well then...

Blackstar said:
What i'm after is a lower rpm at freeway speed...(always after that elusive "good gas milage fairy") will this tranny help with that as well? ?:? ?:?

In that case your best bet is probably to swap in a ZF 5 speed from a 90's F-series Ford truck with a 351W. It *does* require mods, since you'll have to convert to a hydraulic clutch, but it bolts directly to your engine. You'll also need an adapter to your transfer case, a new cross member (you can buy both of the previous two items from BC Broncos) and you'll need to lengthen/shorten front and rear drive shafts. If you are patient surf ebay daily) or lucky at the junkyard you might be able to pull it of for somewhere around $1200-1500 or so, the major cost being the transmission (assuming used, not new tranny). It's a fair bit of work but you will be happy with the results- better first gear due to compound low, plus great freeway gearing due to the overdrive. It doesn't meet all of your criteria but probably comes closest.

Good luck!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
lars said:
In that case your best bet is probably to swap in a ZF 5 speed from a 90's F-series Ford truck with a 351W. It *does* require mods, since you'll have to convert to a hydraulic clutch, but it bolts directly to your engine. You'll also need an adapter to your transfer case, a new cross member (you can buy both of the previous two items from BC Broncos) and you'll need to lengthen/shorten front and rear drive shafts. If you are patient surf ebay daily) or lucky at the junkyard you might be able to pull it of for somewhere around $1200-1500 or so, the major cost being the transmission (assuming used, not new tranny). It's a fair bit of work but you will be happy with the results- better first gear due to compound low, plus great freeway gearing due to the overdrive. It doesn't meet all of your criteria but probably comes closest.

Good luck!
Hey lars, I been check ing around and the best price I could find in my area is $1400 used or 1800 rebuilt

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
feitctaj said:
Hey lars, I been check ing around and the best price I could find in my area is $1400 used or 1800 rebuilt

Patience! I decided I wanted to go with an NV4500 instead of a ZF. A negative of the NV4500 is cost. It took a year of waiting and searching but I just got one in excellent condition from a private seller off Ebay for $600 delivered. Before that I let one slip away that was $800, all the others I'd seen were over $1000. I'm sure if you keep looking eventually a ZF would turn up for under (possibly well under) $1k.

Check car-part.com too. You get access to junkyards all over the country. If they'll ship via Forward Air then shipping cost usually isn't too bad. Just make sure you grill the seller to make sure you get the right version of the tranny.

OK, I just tried car-part.com. I searched for a 1992 F250, not Superduty, ZF 4x4 5.8 motor, "pacific" region. Turned up several for under $1k, a few as low as $550, though I'd be suspicious as to whether that's the right tranny. Best prices were from Bill's Auto Dismantling in Spokane, WA.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Keep us updated 'cause I want to hear how this turns out. A tech writeup would be awesome :cool: