• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing the headlight switch....

RyanOwens

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I am trying to replace my headlight switch on my 1972 bronco.

The headlights worked but the dimmer for the internal cluster lights was not working.

I removed the switch and I am having trouble finding an exact replacement.

I can fine other switched at the parts store that look exactly the same, but they are all missing the 1/2 "spacer" that is welded onto the switch that came out of my bronco.

This "spacer" seems to be what keeps the switch the proper distance from the dash when mounted.

Can I get a switch with this spacer already on it? Or do I need to remove the spacer and install it on a new switch?

If so how do I remove and reinstall it? It seems to be welded to the front of the switch.

Ryan

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You can get the switch with the spacer already on it but I just drilled out the spot weld on the old one and then tacked it to the new switch.

OP
OP
RyanOwens

RyanOwens

Loc.
Cypress, TX
OK. I got the switch from AutoZone, it came with the spacer!

Got the switch mounted back on and the headlights still work but I am still not getting the instrument cluster lights to work.

I now know that the switch is good (I do know that the old switch was bad... spring was broken)

From what I can tell the bulbs in the instrument panel are good (I pulled a few to look)

The fuse seems to be good too, what else could I look for to get these lights in the cluster working?

My blinkers and brights lights all work in the cluster, just no the backlights.

Ryan

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
turn the knob to the right (IIRC) to make brighter
if that dose not work
there is a voltage regulator on the back of the speedo
usually other gauges do read well if its the regulator

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x2 I've seen plenty of those bulbs that still looked good, but weren't.
Worth a check with either an ohm-meter or using a couple of test-wires to energize them.

Same thing for the fuse. Test it.

What is the overall condition of the other wires? Could it be a bad or corroded connection at the switch or somewhere else?

Paul