• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing turn signal cam

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What holds the turn signal cam onto the switch plate. It looks like the pivit point holds it but how do I get it off?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There is a press on washer over a rivet type piece. I destroyed the press on washer when removing it and just replaced it with a c-clip when I put the new cam on.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It would be difficult. You need to pull the switch out of the column to cut the wires from the back. Plus, once you splice the wires from the new cam to the old ones you just clipped, you need to be able to pull them down through the column. I don't see how you would do any of this without pulling the switch. It's just three screws and a plate holding it on, so pulling the switch is not a big deal. You don't have to unhook the pigtail under the dash or pull the wires through the column or anything. You just need enough slack to work with.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It would be difficult. You need to pull the switch out of the column to cut the wires from the back. Plus, once you splice the wires from the new cam to the old ones you just clipped, you need to be able to pull them down through the column. I don't see how you would do any of this without pulling the switch. It's just three screws and a plate holding it on, so pulling the switch is not a big deal. You don't have to unhook the pigtail under the dash or pull the wires through the column or anything. You just need enough slack to work with.

So you're saying I can just pull the wheel & three screws holding the switch plate so I can get to both sides of the switch?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
So you're saying I can just pull the wheel & three screws holding the switch plate so I can get to both sides of the switch?

That's all I did when I replaced my cam. The most difficult part was getting the heatshrink that I used to splice the wires together to slide down in the column. The wires alone are a tight fit, so the added thickness with the heat shrink made it even more of a challenge.