• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rescue Yellow77 #2

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
It started as a simple run down to the beach.
I had neglected a worn out axle u-joint on my front d44 and then totally forgot about it as we were having fun playing some soft sand.

I got in deep and then heard a pop. That was it for the day. Axle u-joint blew and then the ends climbed up on each other to break the knuckle free.
Both the upper and lower balljoints on the passenger side seperated.

We pulled the wheel and tied the knuckle up out of harm's way. Got some plywood under and tried to skid the passenger front onto harder sand.
Gaining only inches at a time with the rear tires going and the winch pulling the battery started to dump. Next it was only clicking.
Sun going down, No lights to work with and no warm clothes for the night.

I had to figure out a game plan. Lock up and leave yellow77 where it was and get the kids home with the firebronco. Raptor stayed with the gang at camp.

Got some rest at home and then in the morning loaded up the firebronco with tools and shovels. As we got to the area the CBH gang had already coordinated a plan to get yellow77 out of the sand with the landowners backhoe, I was told that he and the backhoe was also getting stuck in the sand..

Well, we got it loaded onto Rocky's trailer and headed back to camp so I could get the knuckle and tire back on for a stable ride on the trailer.

Thank You Rocky for letting me drive his F-250 and trailer to get my rig 40 miles back home. Thank You ClassicBroncosHawaii gang for helping out getting my truck safely out of the soft deep sand. The ocean moves the sand around so much that it is very unpredictable.
Aloha,
madgyver

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• DSC05796.jpg
    DSC05796.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC05797.jpg
    DSC05797.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC05801.jpg
    DSC05801.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC05799.jpg
    DSC05799.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC05802.jpg
    DSC05802.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC05806.jpg
    DSC05806.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC05810.jpg
    DSC05810.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC05807.jpg
    DSC05807.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC05811.jpg
    DSC05811.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC05813.jpg
    DSC05813.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC05815.jpg
    DSC05815.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC05816.jpg
    DSC05816.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got in deep and then heard a pop. That was it for the day. Axle u-joint blew and then the ends climbed up on each other to break the knuckle free.
Both the upper and lower balljoints on the passenger side seperated.

Wow..:eek: ...exactly what happened to my rig with my little brother driving a few weeks ago, except the top ball joint did not break..the knuckle casting did. I guess my trick of using a log ski as a '4th wheel' was not going to help much in deep sand..;D

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Cool pictures of the rescue, Its always good to have friends around when they get stuck. I blew up my main drive shaft the other day and had to remove it on the side of the road in heavy traffic. Once off, I put it in 4 wheel and drove it home (front wheel drive only).

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Sorry that happened Mad but glad to know you've got some good people there helping YOU out for a change! ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Cool pictures of the rescue, Its always good to have friends around when they get stuck. I blew up my main drive shaft the other day and had to remove it on the side of the road in heavy traffic. Once off, I put it in 4 wheel and drove it home (front wheel drive only).

What truck did you break? I want to know what one not to buy.

Mad, glad everything was safe overnight and that you got her home. Beach sand sucks. Get it on your drive shaft and the party's over%)

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Sorry for the break, good to get it back home and nothing worst happened. However, a bad day on the island is probably still better than one here in the humid Ohio Valley.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
glad you got the yellow77 back home, feels good when the broncohood helps out don't it. reschedule your fishing trip with raptor, go to the rocky shore. lol

Rocky1977Bronco

Loc.
Kapolei Hawaii
No problem Mad, glad you got your Bronco home. All the guys pitched in and helped get it out. We have a really good bunch of guys here in Hawaii. Lots of Aloha here.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Now that's a spot I'll get stuck in any day of the week! :cool: Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper, Mad. ;D

Attachments

• bronco in hawaii stuck.jpg
    bronco in hawaii stuck.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 95

Broncoward

Loc.
Rolesville
Stuff happens.....I'm just glad that if I was in a "GOOD STICK" situation...the Classicbroncoshawaii.com guys would fix me up and my "Dog Jaw"

Thanks for the great weekend CBH.com!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mad,

This was a bad weekend for yellow broncos and passenger side axels and ball joints. Mine did the same thing at Clayton, Ok on Saturday. Luckily, I was able to source some new ball joints about an hour away and one of the group had a ball joint press back at camp. We managed to get everything back together and hit the trails again the next day. We couldn't find any construction equipment nearby to pull me out, so getting it fixed on the spot was the next best thing!

Glenn

Glenn,
Thanks for posting. What a coincidence.. Made me laugh about it...;D
Same passenger side also but it happened oceans apart. ;D

Attachments

• ball%20joint.jpg
    ball%20joint.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05796.jpg
    DSC05796.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This is where Yellow77 spent the night...

47167743-3608-987.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man I just knew the next part of that story was going to be the tide coming in ...A friend of mine had that happen to his scout it was about 4 ft of sand the next day ..Was never the same ...It left a scar ...Glad itS OK ..