• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

restoring stock radiators

darcytribe

My 72 has the stock radiator in it still and she gets hot pretty quick. I was considering replacing it but read somewhere that original radiators can be restored (re-cored?). Is that so? If so, do you all think it will cool the engine adequately for trail riding? Are there any other things I could do to encourage cooler running? Are there certain businesses I should look at to do this type of work ( I would want it done well)? Thanks for any info you can offer!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
My 72 has the stock radiator in it still and she gets hot pretty quick. I was considering replacing it but read somewhere that original radiators can be restored (re-cored?). Is that so? If so, do you all think it will cool the engine adequately for trail riding? Are there any other things I could do to encourage cooler running? Are there certain businesses I should look at to do this type of work ( I would want it done well)? Thanks for any info you can offer!
Yes, it can be recored.

First step is to see how many tubes might have been damaged and pinched off from previous repairs. If none or only a few, then consider having a radiator shop remove the tanks and hot tank it and rod it out. They will push a rod through each tube to remove any deposits.

If the core is in bad shape, they can recore it. However, this often costs as much or more than buying a new one.

As far as cooling: stock is a 3 row core, a 4 row core will add more cooling. Make sure you have a fan shroud and properly spaced fan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You will need to find a real radiator shop, one that tank cleans radiators and works with solder, copper and brass.
More likely to find those in smaller towns.
Most shops have become parts replacers rather than repairers.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Cost to recore my radiator at the radiator shop was estimated to be ~$400. I ended up going aftermarket for less than half that.

My stock replacement isn't a perfect fit, but it's "good enough". Whose to say that my original radiator would've fit after recoring.

Labor is expensive, and apparently it's hard to find anyone who is good at it as well. But I'm just a pessimist.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
How many blades does your fan have. The later model 7 blade fans work much better.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I had mine recored for around $300. I didn't want to take a chance on replacing it with something that did not fit or was made of thin gauge metal. The shop that did it has been in business for about 60 years. While it was out, I flushed the engine and heater core. Replaced the water pump and thermostat. It runs cool now.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Some four core set-ups do not cool as well as three cores due to air flow, if the cores block air flow it hurts not helps.
A lot of people on here have had better luck with three core radiators.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
what's the shape of the rest of the cooling system? stock engine, fan, shroud? is this something that just started happening? how hot is it getting?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I had great luck re-coring mine with a high density 3 row core a couple years ago. The core is essentially the same as BCB's 3 row radiator here; http://store.bcbroncos.com/products/heavy-duty-3-core-copper-radiator-automatic-for-early-bronco. I'm really happy with it. That's not easy where summer heat is often over 100. Just went back to the same shop to have a heater core tested and found that now, all they do is sell new aluminum radiators. After trying aluminum, I know copper works better. I'm going to have to find a another radiator shop. If you can't find a real radiator shop, I recommend the BCB. It looks like the original and fits in the same mounts.

Broncomt

While it was out, I flushed the engine and heater core. Replaced the water pump and thermostat. It runs cool now.

X2 on the rest of the cooling system. My 68 Mustang ran hot with a new radiator, but original engine. Flushed several times with rad. flush and finally used CLR. Runs cool now

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You can't just simply compare the cost of re-coring without talking about the core you're putting in.
There are lots of variables in the quality of the cores. Some are no better than the ones in the new radiators.
You need to find a real radiator shop and ask them about the options. They're the ones with the real experience here. They can also advise you on your other cooling problems.
I replaced mine with a three core with staggered rows. They called it an X-core.
Also, a good core will be heavier. Thicker copper. You can tell the difference when you pick it up.

I was fortunate to live in a hot environment where I had mine built. Those guys understood cooling issues and knew their products. They built me a nice radiator.

OP
OP
darcytribe

darcytribe

Thanks so much everyone for that helpful info. I went out today and warmed her up and then let her idle. It was around 70 degrees today. The temp gauge on the speedo sat around 215. Here a few of the details of my rig:

1. 7 blade fan
2. Stock fan shroud
3. has an a/c unit linked in (I believe it is a dealer added item as it's quite vintage) but the compressor is not hooked up right now.
4. It has the smaller radiator for the A/C system that sits just in front of the regular radiator.

Sounds like I need to find a reputable radiator shop if I can and find out what my options would be for re-coring it.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It may not need a recore. Lots of things can cause it to run hot. It may just need to be rodded out and the system flushed. It could also be a bad thermostat or bad waterpump. Normally you would only recore if the radiator was damaged beyond repair. A good shop will know what it needs.

My 77 has dealer added air and runs at 180-190 in 90 degree weather with the a/c on. It has a 5 blade fan and stock radiator. I had it recored after it sprung a leak. The radiator shop said it was too corroded to repair.