• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Restoring Stock Steel Wheels

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Sandblast to remove all old paint, prime with etching primer, then paint with PPG Wimbledon White or Argent Silver.

That's what we do on our restorations.

These factory option 16" are the latest ones we've done. On these, we added a flattening agent to the paint to knock down some of the high gloss for somewhere between a satin and gloss sheen. I think they look really great with that finish since sometimes parts that are too glossy look over restored, or just not quite right IMO.

Attachments

• CIMG9768.jpg
    CIMG9768.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 161
  • CIMG9758.jpg
    CIMG9758.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I just had my 16's blasted and powdercoated. Only issue is powdercoat does not like to get into the tight crevices and "spiderwebs" in those areas. I think it has to do with the electron flow. Still look good when mounted, but beware.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I just lightly sanded mine and sprayed with OSH spray paint! I am running hubcaps though.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
its hard to see unless you light it up directly in the cracks as i did. iam using this wheel as a spare and it eventually will be covered with a tire cover.. plus hopeing people will be blinded by my paint job so they wont see anything else ;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The original paint on mine were in good shape so I just sanded and repainted them. I am sure blasting and removing the paint would have been better, but they turned out pretty well.

Attachments

• DSC04179.JPG
    DSC04179.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04182.JPG
    DSC04182.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04183.JPG
    DSC04183.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 70

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I will be using the stock wheels I got out of the Pull a Part. I will also be running hub caps. All will get sand blasted, but here is the question. Removing hub caps from the rims can be hard on the rims paint. But it is also hard to justify the cost of having them powder coated when you will only see the outer inch or so of the rim. Any suggestions? I am thinking I will paint them myself with something relatively easy and cheap, and just tounch them up as needed. I have also come up with a little plan for doing a brushed nickel look on parts of the hub caps that I think will really look good.

Scott

BeardedBlues

Contributor
Sounds like I need to make a trip to the BR Pull-A-Part. The one up here was..... Well, all pulled apart.....

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
its hard to see unless you light it up directly in the cracks as i did. iam using this wheel as a spare and it eventually will be covered with a tire cover.. plus hopeing people will be blinded by my paint job so they wont see anything else ;)

Just the way it is with powdercoat. Mine look identical and figure no one will see the cobwebs once the rims are mounted and on the truck.

brianz426

The original paint on mine were in good shape so I just sanded and repainted them. I am sure blasting and removing the paint would have been better, but they turned out pretty well.

Great job on your wheels. Did you use a rattle can? I want to repaint a set of wheels and I'd like to do it myself. Has anyone spray canned their wheels, and if so which brand and color is closest to wimbledon white?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Great job on your wheels. Did you use a rattle can? I want to repaint a set of wheels and I'd like to do it myself. Has anyone spray canned their wheels, and if so which brand and color is closest to wimbledon white?

Yes, I rattle-canned them. Duplicolor Wimbledon White.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Sandblast to remove all old paint, prime with etching primer, then paint with PPG Wimbledon White or Argent Silver.

That's what we do on our restorations.

These factory option 16" are the latest ones we've done. On these, we added a flattening agent to the paint to knock down some of the high gloss for somewhere between a satin and gloss sheen. I think they look really great with that finish since sometimes parts that are too glossy look over restored, or just not quite right IMO.

Drew, they look great. Love the old bias ply tires on them also.