• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retrosound Radio - Awesome!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Got to say I'm impressed by the Retrosound radio and how it fits an uncut dash. Very easy install. I also installed the Retrosound single stereo speaker in the stock position. Sounds great!

I'm updating the interior of my 69 half cab. I installed a new "Pony Interior" a couple of years ago, but to really take it to the next level I'm having to repaint all of the interior surfaces - including dash doors, bulkhead and inside of the half cab top. New dash pad and arm rests too. The PO never really did much with the interior. But going with the Retrosound radio and speaker really cleaned up the look of the interior. Previously I had a drop down enclosure that the contained the old head unit and two 4-inch speakers. It hung from the dash to the top of the tranny tunnel.

But back to the new radio. Stock looking but with Bluetooth, 2 aux ports, 2 USB ports, 5 push button station settings, 3 FM bands, 2 AM bands. Only thing I did not get was satellite radio. Everything works well. Very good sound - you just don't get stereo separation from the single speaker. But you do wire in both left and right channels into separate connections on the speaker. It also has all the outputs for rear speakers, subwoofer, amp, etc. that I'm not using for a half cab install. Anyway, just thought I'd share. This is the way to go if you want to keep a stock looking interior!

I routed the 2 USB ports to inside the glove box. Last pic is the old radio set up I had.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 375

tvall

X2 on this. I went the same route with the stereo and speaker. I'm far away from paining at this point but plan to repaint the interior as well. Curios as to where you mounted the microphone. I put mine under the dash pad lip right above the steering column. It helped with the road noise a little bit.

Enjoy!

camodown

I put my microphone inside the brake warning light. Mine didn't work anymore so I made it more useful.

IMG_0707_zpsju7pinoi.jpg

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
X2 on this. I went the same route with the stereo and speaker. I'm far away from paining at this point but plan to repaint the interior as well. Curios as to where you mounted the microphone. I put mine under the dash pad lip right above the steering column. It helped with the road noise a little bit.

Enjoy!

Right now it's mounted at the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel. It works fine parked with the engine off - I need to test it more on the road. Not sure I'll leave it there.

I put my microphone inside the brake warning light. Mine didn't work anymore so I made it more useful.

Good idea. My light is not working either.

Looks nice and clean, how does the sound compare to your previous set up?

Much better than the old setup. Even though it had 2 speakers the separation was not good. And I think the Retrosound speaker is of higher quality than the old ones.

Half cabs just do not have a lot of options for speaker placement.

tvall

IMG_0707_zpsju7pinoi.jpg

That is fricking awesome! My light wasn't working either but I put another cigar lighter there so we can charge multiple phones.

Juiceman

Contributor
I was looking into going this way as well, now seeing this post really wants me to step up and do it. Nice work

trekgurl

I did do (2) 10'' speakers and a sub behind the seat, (2) 4 1/2 in the dash. 600 watt amp. With the top off and 65mph (I got headers with short turn downs) you have to turn it down as it will make your ear drums flutter. I like the stock look and for me it was a slow learning curve on all the features but then electronic gizmos aren't my specialty. I am more familiar with it now and how it works and how to tune it. It has lots of feature,,s if you want to remain somewhat normal system or you can jack it out like I did. Its exactly what I wanted and I'm very satisfied with it. The thing I like the best is using a small thumbdrive and putting all my tunes on it. Plug it in,,, Hit the USB-2 and you have music you like 100, 150 songs..as many as you can get on it.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I did do (2) 10'' speakers and a sub behind the seat, (2) 4 1/2 in the dash. 600 watt amp. With the top off and 65mph (I got headers with short turn downs) you have to turn it down as it will make your ear drums flutter. I like the stock look and for me it was a slow learning curve on all the features but then electronic gizmos aren't my specialty. I am more familiar with it now and how it works and how to tune it. It has lots of feature,,s if you want to remain somewhat normal system or you can jack it out like I did. Its exactly what I wanted and I'm very satisfied with it. The thing I like the best is using a small thumbdrive and putting all my tunes on it. Plug it in,,, Hit the USB-2 and you have music you like 100, 150 songs..as many as you can get on it.

LOL! I'd love to have the amp and 10 inch speakers in my Bronco - just no room for them in a half cab!

I agree, I'm using a thumb drive as well. Works great. I was surprised that the unit will read and control the thumb drive. It will let you go forward and back on the list of songs and will display the info on the screen. Does that in Bluetooth mode too.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL! I'd love to have the amp and 10 inch speakers in my Bronco - just no room for them in a half cab!

I agree, I'm using a thumb drive as well. Works great. I was surprised that the unit will read and control the thumb drive. It will let you go forward and back on the list of songs and will display the info on the screen. Does that in Bluetooth mode too.

I may go that route too, well maybe, off roader, would hate to mess it up but Need to get me something SOON been procrastinating too long

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I may go that route too, well maybe, off roader, would hate to mess it up but Need to get me something SOON been procrastinating too long

Dave, it depends on your dash. Is it cut already? If not do you want to keep a stock look? If your dash is cut you can get cheaper single DIN units that will do everything this one will do. I'm just very happy to get a very stock looking radio that you don't have to cut the dash and it has all the features of the newest models. If you do want the stock look and modern features this is the way to go!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dave, it depends on your dash. Is it cut already? If not do you want to keep a stock look? If your dash is cut you can get cheaper single DIN units that will do everything this one will do. I'm just very happy to get a very stock looking radio that you don't have to cut the dash and it has all the features of the newest models. If you do want the stock look and modern features this is the way to go!

Oh well it's already got the cut out w/the plate over it and the switch added for the fuel pump toggle Not a big deal to cut it a little more. Guess I could've kept the 2 dashs I had if I was worried about it, but I know where the are, Ahhhem Mudd's LOL :) among his Pile/Plethora of parts

Thanks for the input sir, just want it to work and LAST, and I won't have a top anytime soon

trekgurl

speaker box

Well mine's really build as a two seater,, but I guess one could still put a bench seat in the back. This box is actually kinda fun,,, its very sturdy and bolted down. One could sit on it facing the rear. Great thing is I still have room for two good size plastic storage bins.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I installed my Retrosound speaker this past weekend. Sounds great! Especially considering it's only one speaker.

Jaxgtc

Nicely done. I purchased Retro Sound a while back (fathers day!) from TBP but have not installed it yet - hoping for that dash repaint.
I recall on the TBP installation video they had to make a minor cut on one of the flat washers behind the dash, did you experience anything like that?
I tried to find that video on their site and can't locate it now for some reason. I really like that video and the one they did on the door panels. Those videos are really well done! We need more of that kind of stuff!

GTC