• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Returnless explorer pump with holley sniper

Aariley5

Hello,
I am looking at the possibility of running a holley sniper system on my bronco with a 351w. Looking into fuel systems I stumbled upon the possibility of using the 99-01 Explorer returnless fuel pump. Is it possible to make this pump work with the sniper? I know holley makes a returnless pump but I’ve noticed the explorer pumps are a heck of a lot cheaper and probably easier to get a replacement for should one fail.
Just curious if it’s possible, maybe some guys that have used that pump in explorer setups would know.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I just installed a Q-jet sniper on a 79 Trans Am, that particular unit required a return line.

Not all Sniper units are the same, some are internally regulated. The above unit was not, it required an external regulator set at 60 PSI. The later Explorers fuel pump assemblies, as you have found, have an internal regulator. I cannot say if it will work or not. Remember you need pressure and volume, so figure out which Sniper you might be using.

Personally, after my experiences with that Sniper install, and Holley Tech line... I will not do another. Better to Run all Explorer EFI IMHO

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I were doing it again, C5 corvette fuel filter. Has the built in pressure regulator that is correct for the Sniper.

As for the Explorer fuel pump, where is the regulator? I know of several returnless fuel systems (but not specifically the Explorer) that do have a pressure regulator. It is hidden. The pump itself is a regular fuel pump, goes into the fuel pump cover where it exits and goes to the engine. In that cover there is a regulator. So your easy to find pump may be the easy to find pump, but there is still a regulator.

One thing you have to watch for with a Sniper fuel system is enough flow at the right pressure. So many pumps have rated flow at 43 PSI. But Sniper runs a 58 PSI. A lot of common pump are designed for 43 PSI and choke for flow at if they can even reach 58 PSI.