• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reverse light switch

honeycoon_

I've read a couple posts about the reverse light switch for a stock manual transmission, but I couldn't seem to find info regarding this setup in addition to having power brakes.

We just finished putting the 3 speed back in and I would like to hook up the reverse light switch. A previous owner installed a factory brake booster on, but it doesn't look like the reverse light switch will be able to fit under this and still be actuated when you shift into reverse.

Am I wrong, and it should be fine, or is there a problem and a known workaround? Thanks in advance.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I had one on my 71 with a brake booster. The only issue I had is the dang plastic switch disintegrated within one year.:p

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
76 and 77 Broncos came with power brakes and three speed on the column transmissions from the factory.

Unless Ford reengineered the backup light switch and bracket (which I've never heard of) everything should work fine as it did before you added the vacuum booster.

OP
OP
honeycoon_

honeycoon_

I had one on my 71 with a brake booster. The only issue I had is the dang plastic switch disintegrated within one year.:p

It looks like this, right: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/3-Speed-Backup-Light-Switch/Bronco_TailLights? Tom's sells one that looks different but mine looks similar to this. Want to buy the correct part.

76 and 77 Broncos came with power brakes and three speed on the column transmissions from the factory.

Unless Ford reengineered the backup light switch and bracket (which I've never heard of) everything should work fine as it did before you added the vacuum booster.

Alright, I wasn't sure, thanks for the info! Glad I don't have to modify it ;D