• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reverse Servo Gasket/Oring

Gwunited2

Hello,

I'm replacing the gasket on the rear servo cover of my 1974 C4. Attached is a picture of what the gasket looked like upon removing the cover. You can see that it is angled. The lip on the transmission where you bolt the cover to is angled as well (matches angle of oring/gasket).

Everything I've read and even the parts guy at my transmission parts shop says that you use a square cut oring as a replacement. The question I have is, have any of you all experienced this and used a square cut oring in what looks like should be a triangular seal? Does the gasket conform to the space and form into a triangular type seal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Massey

Attachments

• Angled Oring.jpg
    Angled Oring.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Square Cut Oring.jpg
    Square Cut Oring.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Gwunited2

Gwunited2

Well, I was finally able to replace the reverse servo piston and square cut o-ring last night. I also replaced the nuts that seal the transmission band adjustment bolts. I let the engine idle for about ten minutes and did not notice any leaks. I then drove the vehicle for about ten minutes and it didn't leak. Hopefully this solved my leaky transmission woes. Better yet, I am very comfortable replacing the gaskets if it ever happens again.

Note to anyone trying this at home: You can replace the above said gaskets without removing the transmission with little problems. It is much easier to do if you remove the front drive shaft.

Thanks for all the help/advice I received from people on this forum.

OP
OP
Gwunited2

Gwunited2

Well, I was finally able to replace the reverse servo piston and square cut o-ring last night. I also replaced the nuts that seal the transmission band adjustment bolts. I let the engine idle for about ten minutes and did not notice any leaks. I then drove the vehicle for about ten minutes and it didn't leak. Hopefully this solved my leaky transmission woes. Better yet, I am very comfortable replacing the gaskets if it ever happens again.

Note to anyone trying this at home: You can replace the above said gaskets without removing the transmission with little problems. It is much easier to do if you remove the front drive shaft. Also, I purchased a C4 rebuilding manual that was very useful. Everything was torqued to spec as well.

Thanks for all the help/advice I received from people on this forum.