• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rhino line ( too bomb proof buildings)

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
This was crazy! Does anyone ever watch Smash Lab on the discovery channel. They do some crazy innovating. They read that rhino line was bomb proof, so they tested to see if they could use it to bomb proof a building.

1. 2 pickup trucks of same make and model; one with rhino lined bed and one with out. They used equally amount of HE explosive to blow up each truck (i think is was 2 lbs), putting the explosive right on top of the rear axles.
a.The truck without rhino line was completely destroyed. the bed was shredded apart. part of the truck went 150 ft in the air.
b.The one with rhino line: the bed was mostly left in tacked. The floor of the bed was only bowed up a bit.

2. Now they had cinder block walls made to blow up. (walls where 6 ft tall by 6 ft.
a. wall with nothing blew up
b. wall with rhino line on the outside: look intact from the outside, but on the inside the cinder block broke apart from the wall flexing where the rhino line actually held the outer portion of the block together. . structural integrity of the wall was not sound.
c. wall with rhino line sprayed on inside and outside stayed in tacked. Still structural sound, but they thought the inners of the cinder block where probably broken up a bit.

3. They made a 2 story cinder block building, 30 ft wide by 30 ft deep and put office supplies in it.
they rhino lined the inside and the out side of the building, put a car in front of the building around 2 ft away with 12 lbs of HE explosive in it and put sand all around the car to direct the blast towards the front of the building. The car was destroyed, but the building was left standing. where the blast directly hit the wall, it flexed about 6 inch inwards. building was sound enough to be able to evac people, but not sound to be reused.

I'm not a vendor and I'm not trying to promote rhino line. It was just crazy what the rhino line was able to take the abuse.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Line-X has been doing these tests for yrs. They have video of cinder blocks being dropped off of a 3 story building on their website. I believe that both of these companies have been doing some contracting for the federal government and military for a while now...when I saw the Smash lab last yr (or back in spring) when it first came out, I thought it was cool, but I also thought that there wasnt much novel about it.

I was very impressed that the bed faired that well when they blew it up, however. Did I mention that I love my Line-X?....not in a dirty way, but in a wholesome respectful, slap you on the shoulder kind of way.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yea, your hootus probably wouldn't appreciate any of the dirty raunchy love.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - that stuff is tough. I was pleasantly surprised in it's strength.