• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Robert Shaw Balanced Thermostats

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Warm weather is almost upon us and I need to change the thermostat in the bronco.

Everyone recommends these thermostats and they are supposed to be the best thermostat made, but where does one by one? Anyone found them locally? I have only found 1 place online that has them but I don't really want to pay 10 bucks for the thermostat and then another 7 bucks to ship it.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Autozone doesn't carry them anymore, at least not around here. I went in to buy one just as they cleared the shelves.... was told they were gone.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
How about Advanced Auto Parts?

What is the proper temp for a thermostat in a Bronco? I'll be replacing mine too, and haven't a clue!

Thanks

OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
definitely go with a 180 or hotter.

We don't have Advance Auto Parts down here in San Diego. All we have to choose from is Autozone, Kragen, Napa, Car Quest and Pep Boys. None of those list Robert Shaw thermostats on their websites. I might have to call around.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Pep Boys will sell you a nice set of fluorescent lights for under your hood so you can see all the nice steam rise! Hah!

Sorry, I couldn't resist taking that cheap shot!

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Summit sell Mr Gasket thermostats which had Robertshaws Part# and name on the thermostat the last time I bought one. I didn't go to Autozone in those days.

A speed shop might stock the Mr Gasket packaged thermostats. You might go to an independent auto parts store and have them order the Robertshaw brand for you.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
HotWheels said:
I just wonder what happened to these guys. Their thermos were nice.

They probably went the by way of mergers and buyouts. TRW is gone except for one R-D plant in Farmington Hills, MI. Someone, (Bwonco Howie?) said that they were taken over by Cooper.

OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
The Robert Shaw thermostats are still made and sold, just not at anyplace convenient to me. I still haven't checked at the stores yet, so I will do that. In the meantime, Milodon makes balanced thermostats that look the same as the Robert Shaw units. I can get one from summitracing. I might just wait until i have to order something else from them and then pick up the thermo at the same time.