• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rocker Panels

Bdhand

Contributor
I'm having a little trouble getting my new rocker panels to fit. I have made all of the cuts to them that the originals have but they still are not fitting very well. Any one else ever have this issue? Any tricks to making them fit better?

Thanks,
Brent

nickgp

Bronco Guru
First make sure the body square to the frame. Meaning body mounts are in good condition so the body lays flat to frame.

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
everything should be square. Braced before I took the originals out. I think it just needs a little tweaking. They almost fit now but lacks just a little. Anybody know of a thread that has this issue in it????

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Sometimes w aftermarket parts you need to get creative to make them fit. A slice here, a grind there, etc. it takes a bit of massaging to make new parts fit on an old Bronco.

k3moody

Loc.
Texarkana Tx
I'm replacing rockers on both sides of a 75 I'm building. I know after measuring prior to cutting out and bracing everything up that you still need to re-measure again and then again. Can never measure enough. Once everything is square and measurements match top and bottom and your door fits the gap, your ready to install the rocker. As long as measurements are correct you just trim until it fits perfect. Trim a little at a time. I have pulled rockers on and off a dozen times before being completely satisfied.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What rockers did you guy?

I replaced both rockers on my 74 and had to do minimum tweaking to get them perfect. Got mine from WH

Tim

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
I got mine from Nick Rocci at Northwest Classic Ford Parts. They are Dynacorn rockers.

djhudson05

Measure the length of the new one and compare to the old ones. I had a new one that wasn't fitting right. Found out the lip on one end was bent wrong,causing the rocker to be a little bit longer than original. Took a hammer and dolly and bent the lip over a little more and it went right in place.

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
I'm in the same boat as AZ73, original tooling rockers that will be modified. The upper bent portion is not centered to the lower portion. I'm having to re center both pieces before starting install.....frustrating for sure

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Anybody got any pics of their new rockers installed before primer and paint? Just would like to see the gaps to see how close I am!

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I had great results using the stamped from original tooling ones straight from Dennis carpenter. Fit like a glove, especially compared to some import versions.;D
You'd have to scroll through the beginning of my build thread as my install is kind of spread out there a bit, but here's a couple of links from it.

Rocker panel comparison

Rocker installed

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
So I did a little more fitting last night and here is where I am at. I guess I still need to do some more adjusting.

Attachments

• IMG_4636.jpg
    IMG_4636.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4638.jpg
    IMG_4638.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4640.jpg
    IMG_4640.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4642.jpg
    IMG_4642.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
What door adjustment gets rid of this gap on the door? I don't know why posting photos on here with an IPad it has to rotate the picture when you post it. That is not how I took the picture!!!!:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 86

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What door adjustment gets rid of this gap on the door? I don't know why posting photos on here with an IPad it has to rotate the picture when you post it. That is not how I took the picture!!!!:mad:

you could add a thick shim to each hinge and that will move it back

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Those measurements won't help me if mine is a 66 right??

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those measurements won't help me if mine is a 66 right??

Those measurements are "ball park" and will help you get started if your mounting your door post but in your case your post are already in place. Try adding a shim to each hinge. Jeffs grave yard sells em with various thicknesses and I would give that a try first

Relicsrule

Loc.
Buffalo
Like Migs I used a Dennis Carpenter rocker stamped from factory dies and it fit like a glove. As my son lives 15 min from carpenter and was coming up home buffalo I had him pick me up 2 fenders, lower quarter and extension, rear tailgate post and a tailgate. Everything fit really well. Great fitting parts. Dave