• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rocker panels

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
This is probably best left to the experts, but what do you do with your bronco? If you use it for serious off-road, you might consider rock skis. If she's a show pony, then shop around for a nice set of replacement rockers. I have not searhced for body parts before, but there are a lot of vendors out who do sell anything you need.

J.D.

OP
OP
J

jhuette

Some where inbetween. Will certainly be doing some trail riding but 80% will be on the road and beach.

silverbullet

Loc.
Columbia, MO
Many of the parts houses have them WH, Duffs, ect..... Are you planning to install them yourself or find a shop. I havnt replaced them myself but they dont seem to be to bad. Preping to do this on my 74 soon.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
After the front fenders are removed they take about 4 hours per side. Finding the spotwelds on rusty rockers isn't as bad as finding some of the spotelds on other parts. It is a pretty straight forward project if you use the OEM type rockers. :)

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Stacey David replaced his on crazy horse and gave a pretty good step by step. See if you can find someone with that episode!

J.D.

Solar Aviator

I just did both sides. I got the OEM rocker panel from TOM's for $99 a side. The lower section is $59 a side if the tops are solid. (part numbers 1990 and 1970) If everything is pretty solid, its a piece of cake. You might open up a can of worms (spelled rust) and find that the lower inner pannels and bottoms of the door posts are not in any shape to weld to. I had to repair the the front door posts and replace the inners which can be cut out of flat stock or purchaced form LMC for a bunch of $. Did the floor boards while I was at it. It's not a bad job if you have the patience and time to do it right. Make a bunch of marks and measurements for alignment if you cut into it like I did. In the last picture I kept part of the inner rocker pannel to maintain allignment until the floorboards were welded in. Take the time to get the new pannels alligned perfectly by clamping and screwing it into place. I drill holes and use sheetmetal screws to get everything located. the holes weld in very nicely with a mig welder. I drill a hole big enough that the threads in the screw do not engage the part I clamping in and then drill a smaller hole in the piece that it's being clamped to. This allows the screw to draw it up tight.

Attachments

• hole weld 014 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 014 (Medium).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 94
  • hole weld 020 (Medium) (2).jpg
    hole weld 020 (Medium) (2).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 103
  • hole weld 022 (Medium) (2).jpg
    hole weld 022 (Medium) (2).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 98
  • hole weld 013 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 013 (Medium).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
This is very true, about "opening a can of worms" (regarding rust).. I just replaced the rockers on both sides, and before starting, i told myself, this would be easy and fairly inexpensive (and i do all the work myself).. however, after removing the rocker, i found that i needed to replace the inner rocker AND front doorpost... along w/ floor boards kick panel, and inner fender apron... finished the drivers side (ALL new), then went to the passenger side, removed rocker........and it was identical to the first side... Just to let you know.. Door post ($159), Inner Rocker ($39.00 ea.), Kick Panel ($60 ea), Inner Fender Apron ($50 ea)...Rocker panel ($70 ea)... so ur looking at around $380-$400 per side, just in sheet metal, if you do it right.. That would not include paying someone to weld it, fit it, and prep it and seal it... I did all the work myself and still cost around 800 for both sides.. Hopefully your's is not as bad as mine was, but, now it's all brand new and good for another 40 years.. Good LUCK!!

Luke

OP
OP
J

jhuette

Thanks guys for the info and numbers on replacing them. Sounds like a little more than I want to tackle!?!?!?!