• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll bar installation

norm02

Hey guys,

I bought a Standard 4 point roll bar from Tom's Bronco parts and it came in yesterday. Are there any installation tips that anyone has? I can't imagine there being much to this but it never hurts to ask.

Also, did those of you that have installed a new roll bar/roll cage get your powder coated or did you paint it yourself? I'm tempted to prep the roll bar and paint it before installing it since that would minimize the likely hood of over spray getting on my truck.

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
Make sure it will clear a hardtop and it should clear other top options. Use ratchet straps and or clamps to square it up. Check measurements and verify square with diagonal measurements. Tack it together and continue to check measurements. Remove it from truck to finish all the welds (check measurements again after removing). Finish it while out of the rig and reinstall.

Toms has a good video on YouTube for installing the front portion but you can see placement of the rear section and tips that will help.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Make sure it will clear a hardtop and it should clear other top options. Use ratchet straps and or clamps to square it up. Check measurements and verify square with diagonal measurements. Tack it together and continue to check measurements. Remove it from truck to finish all the welds (check measurements again after removing). Finish it while out of the rig and reinstall.

Toms has a good video on YouTube for installing the front portion but you can see placement of the rear section and tips that will help.

Sounds good and I don't have a hardtop to check clearance. I would have to think that it is the correct height to avoid fitment issues but I'll Tom's and double check with them. Will also check out the Youtube vid.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely I suggest finding a hard top to sit on it while you tack it together. These pre bent cages are generally made a little long to allow people to trim to fit. I also recommend using some sheet metal screws to mount your foot plates to your floor first, then get the cage where you like it and tack the legs to the foot plates, then tack the joints together as much as possible, about 8 tacks per joint. Then remove and finish weld. My first few cages I built would not fit as well after I removed them and finished welded, I realized all the heat from the finish welding was causing them to change shape. So I started using about 8 tacks per joint instead of 2 and have not had a problem since.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I bought and installed the standard 4pt from TBP. Then later bought the front section from them, had CBM Designs weld them together and install. He powder coated it (very smooth) and welded it to the frame. Highly recommend. Every time I'm in it now with the top off, I think of what those front bars could do for me.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
VHT roll bar paint.....no primer needed. Make sure u wipe down the metal first to get all the oil residue off.

gsmalley

Roll Bar ? Or Light Bar

I know we all mix these terms up and don't make the proper distinctions. As someone who has rolled his truck I can say that there is a big difference. This time I went and found a crew chief for a funny car, it was during his off season and I told him what I was thinking. I liked the single hoop look so he drilled thru my floors, welded an outrigger to the frame and then welded the hoop to the outrigger. The rear support bolt to the floor but the structure is secured to the frame. Best part, it was only $600. I liked the look of it unfinished, the guy did some superb welding so I just clear coated it. Just my 2cents