• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage Height

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
If my hard top fits over my cage does that mean a soft top will fit as well? I may be taking my 8pt Toms Family Cage out and selling it and building a different cage.
I run a hardtop year round but may get a soft top later on and didn't want to build the new one too high.

Thanks!

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
If you build your own cage make it same height. Two reasons, the first bar closest to the windshield is not a factor. The second and third tube are your tie into points/flap.If you ever need to throw a hard top on and what will you do? I have 2 cages, on for the half cab (4pt) and an extra (4pt) for the bed. I only use my bikini top when both cages are in.
Next

luvbowhuntn

Loc.
Town Creek,Al.
Man If you get ready to sell that Tom's cage,I would love to get a chance to buy it. Prices to get one built in my neck of the woods are outrageous. Being Nashville is only a couple hours drive it wouldn't be bad.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I was told that if the cage fits under the hard top then it will fit under the soft top easily.

That is not accurate... Mine fit under the had top but the fabric of the soft top rubs on all four corners of the cage. It squeaks at the windshield area... very annoying.... and in the rear it is so tight it makes hooking the back of the top nearly impossible.... it needed to be a half to 3/4" lower.

Greg

OP
OP
S

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
If you build your own cage make it same height. Two reasons, the first bar closest to the windshield is not a factor. The second and third tube are your tie into points/flap.If you ever need to throw a hard top on and what will you do? I have 2 cages, on for the half cab (4pt) and an extra (4pt) for the bed. I only use my bikini top when both cages are in.
Next

The cage I have built will be specifically for being able to run a hard top. I just wondered if the soft top requires a cage to be lower. My goal is to go as high as I can with it to give optimal head room througout. I'm 6'1 and its my daily driver and I have passengers in back a lot.

jakestaaa

what kind of measurement is acceptable along the door rails? i have been building a cage all day/week and i am now concerned that it is too tall for the hard top to fit over. anyone have an idea?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If your main bars go side to side it should clear the sides of the top due to the bending radius of the pipe. If you do the main bars front to rear you can get more headroom but need to be carefull of top clearance near the doors or for the soft top bows. I thought as long as you can fit the hardtop it would clear tbe soft top except for being able to fold the bows down if it's a family style cage.