• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

roll cage homebuild

71corpus

I want to make a roll cage but, have no access to a tubung bender. where do you get the tubing? have any ideas?

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
unless you want the satisfaction of actually doing it yourself, I would recommend buying the smittybilt kit, i got mine from Bronco Hut, but Jeffs and WH sells it too. You can still say that you built it because some trimming and welding is required, but it will save you a lot of time and I found it saved me some $ too. It says that it is not a 'roll bar' for liability reasons, but I have talked to people at Bronco Hut who have rolled theirs (reportedly 6 times). It is certainly a good place to start, you can add to it for strength if needed. If you choose to buy your own tubing, get DOM (drawn over mandrel) instead of rolled tubing- the strength difference is worth the $.

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
white PVC wrapped in black foam. Worked on Project Crazy Horse on Spike TV. ;) Just being silly. I am new to all this metal fabbing so I have no idea. ;D

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
RKM said:
white PVC wrapped in black foam. Worked on Project Crazy Horse on Spike TV. ;) Just being silly. I am new to all this metal fabbing so I have no idea. ;D

HMMMMM.....but I think it was sched 40

Attachments

• Rollbar.jpg
    Rollbar.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 162

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I just suggest buying a prebent cage and just welding it yourself. There are so many sites that make nearly every thing you could want. If you MUST have something special find a race car shop...or even a well outfitted circle track racer and bride with beer to "borrow" his bender for a weekend....

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
part of the fun is building the stuff yourself. If you do it yourself you will be proud you did it and a better fabricator for the next project when you are finished. That is just my opinion.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
mountainlivin said:
part of the fun is building the stuff yourself. If you do it yourself you will be proud you did it and a better fabricator for the next project when you are finished. That is just my opinion.

except when your life is on the line.

Debs70

I am a cage builder and I can tell you that the Crab cage is an excellent product - you can order it in pieces and weld it up yourself. It is really reasonably priced as well. The other option is to haul it out here to Socal and I'll build you a custom D.O.M cage...

http://ebgear.com/products.htm

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i know CORE sells ready to go welded packages that you can have shipped to your house if that is easier for you.

crab

Bronco Guru
Debs70 said:
I am a cage builder and I can tell you that the Crab cage is an excellent product - you can order it in pieces and weld it up yourself. It is really reasonably priced as well. The other option is to haul it out here to Socal and I'll build you a custom D.O.M cage...

http://ebgear.com/products.htm

Thanks Debs70.....
I know a lot of you want to build your own cage and sounds easy at first. We had three years of prototypes before we figured it out what we think is a great all around cage. I can ship you a fully TIG welded cage for $950 or an unwelded cage (to give you the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but keep in mind our cages are TIG welded and well worth the money) for $800. They would go to the nearest terminal which would be just down the street from you in Corpus Christi. I know it seems like a lot of cash but will be well worth it in the end.
Crab

Cooter_76

Joe Hasselmeier said:
I want to make a roll cage but, have no access to a tubung bender. where do you get the tubing? have any ideas?

Joe, have you checked-out any of the metal yards on Agnes St.? I would think one of them would have a bender. With all the refineries there in Corpus you shouldn't have too much trouble locating one.

jimmymac

I'm almost through with mine today. Needs sanding and painting.I used 2" steel pipe. Instead of bending we used 90 degree fittings and alot of grinding. It's was not made for offroading just wanted a bikini top. It does'nt look near as good as one you can buy but I think it came out pretty good. My buddy did just about all of it. I never welded before this. I'd do it again though. The nice thing is you can make it however you want to.And like the man said it's nice to start with a piece of pipe and make something out of it. And if I decide I want to change, it I know where the welder is.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
crab, that's a good deal for those that don't have the ability or facility to fab their own. jump on this deal people.
nick

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
When I was chosing a cage my wife asked me if I would be able to justify not spending the money on a professionally built cage if she or my daughter were hurt or killed by a homemade. I take pride in building my own stuff, but I also take a good deal of pride in saying that I am confident that my rig is safe. Peace of mind is priceless.

snoeborder

Loc.
Clinton Utah
check out mine in my gallery we bent it and welded ourselves i feel pretty confident in it. but i probly would feel better with a prefabed on done by pros