• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll cage phone mount options?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I ended up getting both to try them out, figuring I could use the extra one in my daily driver.

Once I got them in my hand it was pretty obvious that the Ram mount was going to work better. This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/RAP-SB-187-UN7U-Mount-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Smartphones/dp/B005EP84Q8

The strap was plenty long for my roll cage diameter. I actually had to cut off one segment. The strap cinches up nice and tight and doesn't appear to want to move or rotate at all. The actual phone holder/cradle (spring loaded) is very secure. The only slight drawback is you kind of need two hands to get the phone in and out of the cradle and the arms interfere with the phone power button on the side.
image(4).jpg image(1).jpg image(5).jpg

I also got the Steelie one. I ended up using it in my daily driver and like it a lot. But I just don't think it would work well in the Bronco. The magnet is plenty strong, but the phone can still wiggle and spin a bit with a lot of vibration. In a newer car with a smooth ride that's not a problem. With the Bronco I think it would be constantly rotating the phone.
http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-STCK-11-R8-Steelie-Cellphones/dp/B00BAQKRHY
image(3).jpg image(2).jpg photo(1).jpg

reynard101

Bronco Guru
So this is where our contributor $ goes to, cool. :) Any Steelie to Ram, or vice-versa, interference? Is the Steelie magnetic button bothersome being on the back of the phone?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I think you shoud tie your windshield to the cage and take the vibration out of the windshield frame.
It is tied in at the top. Still vibrates.

Attachments

• 20140309_093058.jpg
    20140309_093058.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
So this is where our contributor $ goes to, cool. :) Any Steelie to Ram, or vice-versa, interference? Is the Steelie magnetic button bothersome being on the back of the phone?
No interference. The Steelie magnet added to the back of the phone doesn't cause a problem using the Ram cradle. It may cause a problem with a belt holster or something similar, but I always keep my phone in my pocket.

The magnet isn't a bother, although I had the same concerns. It could wipe out my credit cards if I set my phone on my wallet. I've heard a few complaints about that. So far so good. At the rate retail companies get their credit card databases hacked I end up getting new credit cards mailed to me every 3 months anyway! %) ;D

MeyerzBronco

I use the steelie in the bronco as well. Sticks right to the dash. Works great off-road. Keep it away from credit cards and room keys.