• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage - Repair or Replace

Millercorey

The gifts from the PO never end. Currently have the following roll cage. Unsure if it was installed as a full kit or if they just bought the front add on portion and welded to what was already there.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/San_Felipe_Weld_In_Cage_Kit/Early_Bronco_Roll_Bars_Cages

Well in their infinite wisdom, they offset the front bars 1-2" to the passenger side to, I guess, maintain the functionality of the glove box door? Well an unintended consequence is that the window frame must have been hitting the roll cage so the only solution to that would be to take a hammer and flatten that side of the tubing for clearance.

So should I take the easy method and just bondo that spot to get it into a shape that's still tube-like, or do I contact WH and see if I can't get just the passenger side tube, cut out what's there and weld back in?

With bondo I can't powder coat the roll cage which I was planning on doing, but it's not the end of the world if I can't. Let me know your opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 129

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If the cage is square and straight I would just scab a piece of sheet metal to the divot, weld it up, grind and sand smooth. Use the filler metal as your bondo.

kiteoregon

The gifts from the PO never end. Currently have the following roll cage. Unsure if it was installed as a full kit or if they just bought the front add on portion and welded to what was already there.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/San_Felipe_Weld_In_Cage_Kit/Early_Bronco_Roll_Bars_Cages

Well in their infinite wisdom, they offset the front bars 1-2" to the passenger side to, I guess, maintain the functionality of the glove box door? Well an unintended consequence is that the window frame must have been hitting the roll cage so the only solution to that would be to take a hammer and flatten that side of the tubing for clearance.

So should I take the easy method and just bondo that spot to get it into a shape that's still tube-like, or do I contact WH and see if I can't get just the passenger side tube, cut out what's there and weld back in?

With bondo I can't powder coat the roll cage which I was planning on doing, but it's not the end of the world if I can't. Let me know your opinions.
Thanks Eric I l

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How do you like the back part of the cage?

Not happy? Start over.
Like the back half, cut the front off and rebuild that part.

suckerpunched

I agree with what bowsher said. if you just fix that area, isn't still going to hit the door?

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

I agree with what bowsher said. if you just fix that area, isn't still going to hit the door?

It only hit the door bc he installed the cage cocked off to the passenger side. If it’s center it should be fine. I’m going to mod glove box door to maintain that function.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If you are going to replace it I would look for someone local to bend you up a new section to keep from paying shipping on a new one. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would take a piece of 1/2" square stock and cut it to fit down the middle of the divot. weld it into place. then get an arc welder and some big ass rod and run filler passes to reshape. Make a sheet metal template of the tube radius and start grinding.

Then cut out a 1/2" section of the top cross tube and use a couple of heavy duty ratchet straps to pull the tube ends up tight and weld it up.

Other wise cut out a section of muffler tube and weld it in place to cover the dent. still have to cut out a section of the cross tube.

Make sure you bevel the cross tube very well before you weld it up.
This is just a cosmetic repair only. if you want real life saving strength then its all a redesign and do over.