• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller rocker valve cover for efi explorer

Bronco gold

While the engine is in the shop I'm trying to figure out which valve cover to use that will fit the roller rockers and still fit under the efi intake, I do plan on changing the intake to a performer rpm maybe the rpm 2. Who has done this combo with keeping the filler neck on passenger side. I've read that I must get ride of the intake elbow, do i even need the elbow that the throttle body is attached to ?

BroncoChicken

Fox body mustang valve covers fit. You don’t need to keep the aluminum elbow, the TB will bolt directly to the upper intake. You said you’re planning to change the intake, so you aren’t keeping the explorer EFI? As far as I know, there isn’t an aftermarket lower that works with the explorer upper. You’d have to change both, but the explorer is better than the mustang style. All the runners are round.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to use the 45 bevel on the top covers. Anything with tall covers and solid straight sides wont fit, and worse, will hit drivers side firewall.

OP
OP
B

Bronco gold

I do like the Canton type that garberz listed.
So I cannot keep my explorer computer and upgrade my intake? Top and bottom, Am I lost? This hole swap is a pain

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I don’t think you can upgrade the stock Explorer intake manifold set. They are highly sought after in the Mustang crowd. And for our type of vehicle, what would you be looking to gain by switching to something other than stock?

Mark

OP
OP
B

Bronco gold

Yes the mustang crowd likes the stock explorer intake , but I am having a 331 built with aluminum heads and dont want the stock manifold to be the restriction.

millerpz

The Explorer (and other GT-40 style) intakes are good for factory style parts.

Yes, you can upgrade the Explorer intake manifold to an aftermarket comb-over style EFI intake from Edelbrock, Trick-flow, and many others. The easy answer is to match the intake to the heads you're using. In Edelbrock lingo, this means Performer, Performer rpm, Vic Jr etc.. The longer runner models build torque better, so I would stay with one that maintains the runner length but has the increased flow your looking for.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i took my roller rockers off because i never found a set of valve covers that did everything i wanted them to. i could have used spacers, but i did not go that route.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Fox body mustang valve covers fit.

Isn't it only the 91-93 stock valve covers that fit with no grinding?
They had less casting inside

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Nothing a little grinding can't fix.

Attachments

• 20150120_181810.jpg
    20150120_181810.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20150120_181801.jpg
    20150120_181801.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 44

albino

Loc.
Sacramento area
That's one way to solve the problem!

I was somewhat hesitant to completely grind and remove the shield so I attempted to trim and modify it. If I can remember, it still barely hit, so ultimately I stacked 2 Fel-pro cork gaskets to make it clear. Not completely happy with doing that but it works, and doesn't leak.