• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller rocker/valve cover issue

adam05ford

Loc.
San Marcos, Texas
So I have some trick flow aluminum heads with roller rockers on my 302. I just bought some of the Bronco Powered by Ford script covers recently. Anyway I had to take the baffles out of the covers to clear the rockers. Now I have a bad problem of getting oil dripping out of the breather since there are no baffles. Has anyone else had this problem? If so are there any easy solutions to fix this? Maybe a way to modify the baffles or make something that would work?

Thanks,
Adam

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I have the same heads and had to remove the baffel to clear my roller rockers and I saw that was going tobe a problem. My fix even thou I havn't been able to try it yet is to install stan pipes (3-4"tall) at my oil filler and pvc,in the summit catalog they show both pushin and 1/4 twist in which is what I have plus the caps would have your pvc and breather to air cleaner opening the caps are closed except for the tubes.Again I haven't try the fix yet but by raising the closed caps I think oil control should be ok.I saw the problem more at the pcv valve,with the rocker right under the opening I figured you be sucking raw oil of the rocker as the problem(burning oil).If all alse fails new valve covers.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I had to clearance the baffles in my stock valve covers to get the rockers to fit with my TFS heads. I didnt want to remove them just to help keep any excess oil or blow by from getting sucked up.
For the most part it sounds like you dont have a standard PCV system if oil is leaking out of the breather that means internal engine pressure is pushing it out. maybe the rings are worn and your getting a little excessive blow by. I''ve never been a fan of the breather only setup on engines for crankcase ventelation as they always seem to leak oil.

OP
OP
adam05ford

adam05ford

Loc.
San Marcos, Texas
what other PCV type systems are there? My passenger side has the PCV valve hooked to full vacuum and the driver side is just a breather. Is there other options to this setup?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Your fine thats the standard PCV setup but still sounds like you have excessive blowby as the breather side really only sucks air in so oil shouldnt leak out well maybe a little as its not fool proof but normally you shouldnt have any oil leaking out a breather even without baffles. I'd probably do as was suggested and get a taller breather maybe something with a fine mesh screen at the bottom to help baffle any oil.

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
Your fine thats the standard PCV setup but still sounds like you have excessive blowby as the breather side really only sucks air in so oil shouldnt leak out well maybe a little as its not fool proof but normally you shouldnt have any oil leaking out a breather even without baffles. I'd probably do as was suggested and get a taller breather maybe something with a fine mesh screen at the bottom to help baffle any oil.

Probably late on this reply, but in case any one else is randomly searching - I disagree with that assessment - I've seen this on 2 occassions, both new or newer engines with no blowby issues. Without the baffle, they will leak.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too had to remove the baffles to clear the rockers on my trick flow heads. I think I might
have this PCV valve sucking oil problem. Would using a breather in place of the PCV valve
be okay, or is the PCV valve critical?

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
I too had to remove the baffles to clear the rockers on my trick flow heads. I think I might
have this PCV valve sucking oil problem. Would using a breather in place of the PCV valve
be okay, or is the PCV valve critical?

Yes, I'd consider PCV critical. Without it you'll get a lot of gunk built up in your motor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was running stock valve covers with the thrickflows. I had to cave in the baffles to clear the rockers. Common problem. But since you are running the script cast valve covers, they don't respond to setting them on the lawn and beating clearance into them with a hammer.

So what are the options...
There are valve cover spacers. Shaped like a vlave cover gasket and go between the valve cover and the head. I am not a fan, I don't think they look right.
You can raise the PCV and build some baffles in the chimney, tricky part is you need enough volume so the air flow will slow enough for the oil to fall out and run back into the engine. Too small and it will just suck right on by.
Another option I have not seen mentioned yet, there is usually more room on the side of the valve cover then the top. Build a baffle and port the side of the valve cover. Done right this could blend in very nicely.

Unless it is an all out race engine that doesn't expct to live in the real world, PCV should be there. Breather on one side that lets air in most of the time, but can vent during periods of full throttle. PCV to regulate airflow to the vacuum source, shuts off during full throttle use. Vacuum to both sides is wrong and won't create the positive airflow that Positive Crankcase Ventilation should do. The idea is to keep a fresh breeze of air through the engine to pull out condensation and other vapors during normal use.