• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ron Davis 5.0 Radiator and FULL shroud w/ explorer fan

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Anyone running this? Will this work without modifying? I called WH and they said it should, but he didn't sound 100% convincing.

Oh and No body lift if that matters...

Thanks

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Are you asking about the actual Ron Davis radiator or the radiator shroud? I have the full shroud and it fits perfect. I have a 1" BL but am running extreme motor mounts as well. Fits perfect on my Champion radiator

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I called WH and they said it should, but he didn't sound 100% convincing.

Hah! Yeah, I bet they/we didn't.
I just wanted to jump in and assure you that it's not always because the person you're talking to doesn't know about, or believe in the product (although like anywhere, that could happen). More than likely they're just used to "every Bronco being different" and especially the 66 models. So it's hard to guarantee or promise, or even assure someone that every part is going to fit like a factory glove and not give you trouble.
The real world has come back to bite us on that score time and time again.
And that doesn't even address the cooling aspect, which even the fanciest $1000 racing radiator can't guarantee to fix on an EB with other issues either.

That's all just the UBM (Universal Bronco Mantra) though, which doesn't even take into account that you have a '66.
In fact, from a resellers point of view, the words "fit" and "66 Bronco" are often found to be mutually exclusive. ;D

Ok, so I know that's a cop-out on my part to say that. But I know how I have to be totally on the top of my game and question everything when discussing any parts with the owner of a '66. And remembering how many times we've sold them what we thought would be perfect, only to find out that particular part was either a little bit, or completely different on that one model year.

You out there listening to this Chris? (Tapeichris here)

Sorry if the person you were talking to didn't sound convincing MyOriginal, but that's my take on the possibilities anyway.
I shouldn't joke about our parts, or your Bronco, but I'm only having some fun and wanted you to know at least a possible reason for your sales person's hesitation.
Hopefully this IS your '66 we're talking about? And not another of a different year? :-[
In which case... It "should" fit.
With maybe a little trimming of your mounts. Or not...

Paul

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Hah! Yeah, I bet they/we didn't.
I just wanted to jump in and assure you that it's not always because the person you're talking to doesn't know about, or believe in the product (although like anywhere, that could happen). More than likely they're just used to "every Bronco being different" and especially the 66 models. So it's hard to guarantee or promise, or even assure someone that every part is going to fit like a factory glove and not give you trouble.
The real world has come back to bite us on that score time and time again.
And that doesn't even address the cooling aspect, which even the fanciest $1000 racing radiator can't guarantee to fix on an EB with other issues either.

That's all just the UBM (Universal Bronco Mantra) though, which doesn't even take into account that you have a '66.
In fact, from a resellers point of view, the words "fit" and "66 Bronco" are often found to be mutually exclusive. ;D

Ok, so I know that's a cop-out on my part to say that. But I know how I have to be totally on the top of my game and question everything when discussing any parts with the owner of a '66. And remembering how many times we've sold them what we thought would be perfect, only to find out that particular part was either a little bit, or completely different on that one model year.

You out there listening to this Chris? (Tapeichris here)

Sorry if the person you were talking to didn't sound convincing MyOriginal, but that's my take on the possibilities anyway.
I shouldn't joke about our parts, or your Bronco, but I'm only having some fun and wanted you to know at least a possible reason for your sales person's hesitation.
Hopefully this IS your '66 we're talking about? And not another of a different year? :-[
In which case... It "should" fit.
With maybe a little trimming of your mounts. Or not...

Paul

Hey Paul,

First off, LOL and thanks for responding. Yes i realize that ALL broncos have their own personalities and "issues"! Secondly, you havent been following me close enough... I sold the "original 66" a while back and I'm almost done with a frame off '71 LUBR. Try to keep up! Hahahahaha.

That's what the radiator is for. It's a 302 w/ explorer serpentine and explorer clutch fan. I'm looking at buying the radiator and full shroud from ya. You guys have always been great and a wealth of information so when I called today and the sales rep said "hmmmmm" and "it should" I figured the variables of bronco ownership had come into play and I thought I'd get some "real world" experience from my fellow broncoholics.

Soooooooooooo, with that said is anyone running this setup as described? I just want to make sure the fan will fit the housing (sounds like it will from Kholding's post) and will it be deep enough in the shroud. Trimming of the mounts and minor fitments issues are to be expected.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Are you asking about the actual Ron Davis radiator or the radiator shroud? I have the full shroud and it fits perfect. I have a 1" BL but am running extreme motor mounts as well. Fits perfect on my Champion radiator

Both, I haven't ruled out the champion yet...

I have a used champion for a stock auto set-up but since I have the explorer front dress I figured I might as well get one with the proper hose locations... the $$$ train never stops%). I might put the used one on the '69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyone running this? Will this work without modifying? I called WH and they said it should, but he didn't sound 100% convincing.

Oh and No body lift if that matters...

Thanks

Yes, it will fit just fine assuming your core support is straight and you have stock radiator mounts. I ran this exact setup (and also with a 2" body lift). As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, RD developed the full circle shroud at my request.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Yes, it will fit just fine assuming your core support is straight and you have stock radiator mounts. I ran this exact setup (and also with a 2" body lift). As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, RD developed the full circle shroud at my request.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I even had this little voice in my head trying to tell me that you didn't have your '66 any more. I just couldn't remember and fell prey to the name and not reading the bottom of your post (like I normally would have!) for just that little tidbit of info.
Besides, I was on a roll and didn't feel like actually stopping to think before I typed.

Oh well, at least the comic relief part worked. And the real info still got through from the others.
If the others don't have current pics, I can probably shoot some of the Nightmare Bronco on Monday. I'm pretty sure that Jim has one mounted up there on a stock core support and mounts.

Paul

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Besides, I was on a roll and didn't feel like actually stopping to think before I typed.

Paul

Haha, I've been there before...

I think i'll be placing an order on friday if your open. Can I still get the deal on the sway bars? Are they the ones from Hellwig or another manufacturer? See how I hijacked my own thread.%)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hijack away. You're allowed!

Deal is still good. You can place the order online and it will be processed and shipped on Monday, but we're closed both tomorrow and Friday for a little needed R&R and "heat avoidance" from that west facing showroom!

The swaybar price is good through Sunday night the way I understood it. So you're good to go there.
And yes, they should be Hellwig bars. Good stuff.

With that in mind then, whatever you do, don't remove those old dual-shock tabs from the radius arms. They look like they might work for the anti-swaybar stuff! That'd be cool.
Or did I miss it and you've already cut them off? :(

Paul

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Hijack away. You're allowed!

Deal is still good. You can place the order online and it will be processed and shipped on Monday, but we're closed both tomorrow and Friday for a little needed R&R and "heat avoidance" from that west facing showroom!

The swaybar price is good through Sunday night the way I understood it. So you're good to go there.
And yes, they should be Hellwig bars. Good stuff.

With that in mind then, whatever you do, don't remove those old dual-shock tabs from the radius arms. They look like they might work for the anti-swaybar stuff! That'd be cool.
Or did I miss it and you've already cut them off? :(

Paul

Those mounts are still on the caps... Not sure how'd they'd come into play with the sway bar though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not actually "for-sure-certain" myself. But I thought that the front lower end-link mounts from the kit were supposed to mount under the lower spring cups.
If that's the case, then they may put themselves in the same area as your old mounts are.

If so, then either the old mounts are a possible alternative, or they're just going to be in the way.
If not, then no harm no foul.

Paul