• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ron Davis Rad?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Your bottom hose would work.....
Then get an Explorer upper hose and the serpentine style t-stat housing.
I've considered this using a dual pass radiator.
Is this Ron Davis rad a dual pass? It would be cool if it was.

OP
OP
Bickster

Bickster

Dual Pass?

The dude that bought it had just put a 351 in and was having cooling issues. After he bought it he found the issue so the rad was never installed. I should have more details tomorrow.

Hmmm? 351 but maybe a Cleveland?

Bob

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Dual Pass?

The dude that bought it had just put a 351 in and was having cooling issues. After he bought it he found the issue so the rad was never installed. I should have more details tomorrow.

Hmmm? 351 but maybe a Cleveland?

Bob

Dual pass would indicate that the coolant is forced through the radiator twice before returning to the engine. The dual pass will typically have both inlet and outlet on the same side to accommodate this.
WH and BC have a triple pass which allows for inlet and outlet to be on opposite sides as a typical one would.

I like the idea of both and am considering the triple pass but like the idea of a dual pass with inlet and outlet on the passenger side with stock eb hose on the bottom and a hybrid eb Explorer upper hose as mentioned above.

OP
OP
Bickster

Bickster

Well I bought the radiator. Simply beautiful. Turns out he had a shroud as well. Got a great price on both. Even better the guy had a '71 sport with a 351w and CAGE suspension just like mine. It was very helpful to get a peek at a completed example that is so similar to mine. Should finish this off real nice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 84

u10072

Bronco Guru
The RD stuff simply beautiful aluminum TIG welding on display-- as far as holding coolant and really standing behind the product they don't. The shroud is great and fits the champion unit extremely nicely.

OP
OP
Bickster

Bickster

The funny thing is the guy had a Champion in his rig. I probably wont be beating on this thing so it might be pretty and last. Just need to get an upper hose that works. What year Explorer hose are you all using?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
All the typical serpentine sbf set ups use a similar if not same hose. So a passenger side upper hose will not be a problem just measure your hose diameters carefully. You may need a hybrid ie half eb half explorer with a little pipe between the two but I believe that is only needed on the bottom of some set ups.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you get any details of what his heating problem was, and what he did to fix it?
Might be helpful info for others if you can find out.

Paul