• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof Support Bow replacement

SamD

One of my hardtop roof support bows was bent and had a 3/4" gap between the middle of the support bow and the roof, so I removed the original and ordered a new one from Tom's. It arrived yesterday, and i started to install it today, but i soon discovered it isn't going to be the "drop in" replacement job i "assumed".

There is a big difference in size between the stock and replacement hardtop support bows and this changes an easy job into a hard one (for me). Picture below:

I'm assuming they have been made wider to provide more support and longer to allow for trimming to achieve a better fit, which on the surface sounds good. Problem is, they are so wide now that I can't reuse the original flange that is still welded to the top. It was easy to drill out a few spot welds and remove the original support bow, but removing the old flange and welding in the new one isn't something I'm looking forward to doing.

Has anyone ever installed one of these before? any suggestions?

sam

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 213

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

Weld in, no problem. Bolt them in instead.

In my 66 the roof support beams were bolted in making them removable and adjustable. Mine came with 2 from the factory, I fabricated sheet metal brackets like the factory ones added 3 more support beams and it's now very solid. (I think I used a 3x5 flash card for the template.)

Basically the removable ones had oval holes on the beams and round holes on the welded in brackets where yours were spot welded. If memory serves, the brackets were welded in and had "clip in fender nuts" with short bolts to thread into them. I remember using split washers to keep them snug. Maybe you can carefully drill and install this without welding. I also installed a layer of double-sided-foil-bubble wrap from Home Depot in between roof skin and beams the to quiet it down.

I'd mock it up and mark where to trim, drill before your do anything. Just carefully install them at an angle and gently shove them into position.

Have fun and good luck!

Chris

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well if I were you, I would straighten the damage to the original, refit it and weld it back in. Then I use a product called Lord Fusor 121. It is an expanding foam that I use on my customers rigs when we rebuild the roof. It effectively bonds the rib to the skin and eliminates the oil canning etc. When I get ready to install the foam, I turn the roof upside down, support it on the drip rails front and rear, this allows the skin to lay in its best arc and there should be a gap between the ribs and the skin. I then inject the foam and let it expand. We run masking tape next to the ribs and on top of the rib itself so after it expands we can take a razor knife to the edge and peel it up. Quick and easy and instantly noticeable difference in roof skin firmness.