• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rookie shifter question....

Rmally

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
Well, this may be a stupid question (I'm not a mechanic, shade tree would be a compliment) but what is involved in changing the shift pattern...or can you.

The 71 I just bought has a floor shifter (moved from column) and the shift pattern is really odd. 1st is straight up, 2nd is where 3rd would be, and 3rd is where 4th would be on a standard H pattern. Reverse is where 2nd would be.

1 2
R 3

Whats involved in changing the pattern to something standard.....or is this standard for a Bronco?

Thanks,

Thunder Chicken

Not standard.......

Standard is......

R2

Somthing...aint right

Your levers are prob off....start by finding neutral by moving levers by hand 2 peeps are useful...once u locate neutral.....the rest will come easy....again two peeps helpful here

Ranger354

Loc.
Greeneville, TN
I think all you will need to do is turn the levers on the transmission over. Remove the nut holding the lever onto the trans and if the shifter rod is on top, turn the lever till it's on the bottom or vice versa. Not that this has ever happened to me before or anything like that;)

Ranger354

Loc.
Greeneville, TN
I didn't look at your diagram real close. Looks the only one that is reversed in the reverse and 1st gears. If that is the case you only have to turn over the one that the
1st gear and reverse shifter rod is hooked to. Hope this helps. Thanks,