• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ruined hard brake lines, now what?

OsideDave

I am preparing to install a lift soon so last night I tryed to change out the stock front and rear drop brake lines. Well I ruined the fitting on the hard line from the h block to upper front drop line and also ruined both fittings on the hard line at the axle. Briefly tried the rear and looks like the same thing.

Should I replace with new hard lines (bend myself, which I suck at) or replace with all steel braided lines? Do steel braided lines work well or do they expand a little over long runs like this application? I can probably get a good deal on steel braided stuff through a friend so it maybe worth it. I also have a friend that works for tubbing bending company so he could probably fab up new hard lines as well.

Any advise is welcome.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Replace with hard lines. Yes the braided stuff does expand, just not as much as the rubber line. The bending part is really hard to screw up. The 3/16" line can be bent using just your thumbs to keep it from kinking, although I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. A 3/16" tubing bender can be bought for just about the price of one length of hard tubing.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Dave,
the 3/16 line is easy to bend, If you want we can bend up some pieces tomorrow or maybe later today to get it back together.

The line from to the front from the h block I think sucks to begin with, every truck I have added drop lines to that one has been the worst.

I have a double flare kit and hopefully tomorrow the build will go quickly with all of us on it. I just need to be home by 4 pm.

Give me a call a little later.

Bill

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everything swells under pressure, including hard lines, but most braided stainless hoses don't show any significant swelling by volume up to 4500 psi. Considering your brake system will probably never see anything over 1600 psi, you'd be fine either way. Braided stainless will certainly cost you more though, but there's a reason many race cars run it everywhere...it's easy to route, gives an excellent pedal, and is more resilient to punctures than hard lines are with respect to being hit with road/track debris. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Several of the vendors have hard line kits in steel or stainless, prebent and flared for different models.