• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

running hot!!!

andy

Loc.
Charleston
after about idleing for about 15-20 min my radiator overflow container starts overflowing or surging out. i have just changed the intake. sometimes the hose to the radiator feels empty but then it will feel as if there is liquid in the hose. i put in a new thermostat when i put on the intake.

any ideas?

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Ok -- you have to give up more info to get the best answer ---

1. Did you have a heating problem before the intake change
2. What was the condition of the water pump, radiator, T-stat before the change
3. Did you replace any other components
4. Are your belts in good condition and tight
5. Did you use the proper antifreeze ratio ( or antifreeze at all )
6. Might you have installed the intake gaskets wrong.
7. Does it run normal temps other than idle
8. Does the Bronco run the same as before the change

The Doctors waiting !!!!!!!!

OP
OP
A

andy

Loc.
Charleston
no problems at all before the change ran perfect. t-stat was in terrible condition so i replaced it, and yes it is on correct. belts are a hair loose but not enought to make a diff, but i will tighten any way. how can you check the water pump?

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am with Buckin74, Check your timing, and when all else fails pull the intake and double check. I know of a couple of people that have done head/intake changes and gaskets caused pressure to get in the cooling system..they had to pull it apart and redo it...

66horse

Bronco Guru
Try this...
take off Radiator cap....
Fill radiator.
Leave off cap.
Turn Bronco on.
Eventually water will warm up and open the thermostat. Water will shoot out the radiator for a second. This is getting the air out.
With Bronco still running, fill radiator back up.
Put cap back on.

Mine used to do the same as yours. This fixed it.

Steve

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
this could also be an air fuel mixture problem. If you are running to rich it will cause your motor to over heat because obviously a rich mixture burns hotter.

66horse

Bronco Guru
You dont say if it is actually running real hot. I think ou have air in there.

On the water sometimes in hose sometimes not.... it is only... flowing through there when the thermostat is open. That would explain the difference in feel.

Get the air out like in my first post and let us know.

Steve

msweb

Bronco Guru
I'm with 66horse on this one. Purge the system and things should cool off.

In regard to the testing the waterpump, I'd like to know this too. Only thing I can think of is to see the water circulating once the T-Stat is opened? How would one measure the rate of flow?

When I ran my Cougar, I wound up taking out the T-Stat and using a restictor plate. They came three to a set, each with a different sized hole that would speed up or slow down the flow. Looking at it, the only difference I saw was on the temp gauge.

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
66horse said:
Try this...
take off Radiator cap....
Fill radiator.
Leave off cap.
Turn Bronco on.
Eventually water will warm up and open the thermostat. Water will shoot out the radiator for a second. This is getting the air out.
With Bronco still running, fill radiator back up.
Put cap back on.

Mine used to do the same as yours. This fixed it.

Steve

XX2

If this doesnt work, which it should, check the idle mixture it might be lean...and the timing like the others said. You did reinstall the fan and shroud I assume...sorry had to ask. :p

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
remove and fill the heater hose. keep your thumb over the end and reinstalltoget rid of the air bubbles right by the t-stat. you probably already did this right?

;)

OP
OP
A

andy

Loc.
Charleston
hey guys thanks for everything, i continued adding water and running to burp or purge the system, not sure if it is perfect because i did not take her for a spin but after 20 min of idling i did not over heat again.

66horse

Bronco Guru
andy said:
hey guys thanks for everything, i continued adding water and running to burp or purge the system, not sure if it is perfect because i did not take her for a spin but after 20 min of idling i did not over heat again.

Sweet!!! Just let us know if it gives you more problems.

Steve

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Glad to hear you may have found the problem. Make sure you check the water level "cold" several times to make sure you have purged all the air out of the system..
Good Luck