• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

running too cool?

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Sounds weird, but my EB seems like it's running way cool. IIRC it's got a 180* t-stat. Even driving it around a while 15ish miles, temp guage is around 160-170. Thermostat is opening, can feel water running in the upper rad hose - heater blows warm but not really hot. What am I missing? Anything to worry about?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The t stat could be stuck open not allowing the engine to heat up. Might want to put in a 195 t stat for the winter. otherwise I'd say the rest of your cooling system is working good.
if I remember correctly cooler engine temps tend to cause the engine wear faster and make a little less power. Where the hotter temps build a little more power and get less wear and reduce emissions.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I'm the exception to the 351 crowd; I'm probably having the same issue as the OP. New longblock, never gets over 180. I think I put in a 180 T-stat.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Last summer my 180 T-stat stuck open. Driving through rain or going down hill the temp would drop to 150. I put in a 195 for the winter and road temps are now normal again.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Why go to the trouble of changing for the season? Put in a 195* and let it do it's job. If the 195* is good for winter, why wouldn't it be good for summer too?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Thermostats probably have the WORST Q.C. of any part Ive seen. Its about a 50-50 chance you will get one that works like it is supposed to.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
According to weather.com temp in your neck of the woods has a high of 50F today. When you open the heater valve it bypasses the thermostat, so if its cool enough, your engine won't warm up.

My advice is make sure your rig is put in the 195 stat, let the rig warm up before you open the heater valve. You might also try taking off the fresh air intake hose, and sealing the hole in the kick panel so that you recirc inside air.
Tom

OP
OP
t.lay

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Looks like a new t-stat will be the saturday morning project. Thanks for the warm-up advice - wasn't thinking about the heater bypassing the t-stat.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I'm the exception to the 351 crowd; I'm probably having the same issue as the OP. New longblock, never gets over 180. I think I put in a 180 T-stat.

Me too! I have a 160 thermostat But are you going by the stock gauge? I believe that my stock is not correct? %) %)

OP
OP
t.lay

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
You called it bronconaz - t-stat was stuck open. Replaced it this morning and it warms up perfectly. thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey Broncnaz what is the optimal temp?, (crate 360hp 302, c4, stock gearing, 31" and a be cool rad)

I would think that it depends on the heads and compression and cam and fuel quality and where you live. Not that there are many variations mind you...

In the old days (of not that long ago) when they couldn't get something to stop pinging, they'd try a cooler thermostat. Even companies like Hypertech would sell you a 160 or 180 t-stat so you could run at the top level of performance where their chips and programmers would add more timing advance than would be considered nominal with the higher combustion chamber temps.

A modern street engine, even high performance ones, run at 195 to 205 (or is it 210?) all day long on pump gas, so it just depends.
I would run it as hot as you can, without getting into any issues.
You're probably right on the money with the 180, but next time you change it out, give a 195 a try, just to see how it runs in the summber. If it runs good, bingo, keep it all year round.
Since you've already replaced your 180 with another one though, that's the best one for now!

Paul