• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running vs Non-running value

jba6555

I am curious to get the group's opinion here on the difference in value between Running and non-running Broncos. I was talking with a friend of mine who is a mechanic who works a lot on old cars for people. He had a client pass away a few years ago with a pile of old cars he had stockpiled. All had been driven into storage when he bought them 10-25 years earlier. The client's kids asked my friend if he would just go through and get each of them running again, and he told them they would be better off selling them non-running than spending funds to get them running. I always thought these kids had been in too big of a hurry to get the Auction proceeds and left money on the table by selling them all non-running.

When it comes to old "barn-find" broncos, what do you all think?

1. Rust-free original barn find running vs non-running

2. Typical Bronco rust running vs non-running

3. Pretty rusty running vs non-running.

I think the type of condition can affect the difference as well.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
TO get them running, if you can't do your own work, can get expensive FAST! If I was selling with no emotional attachment I would sell as is, no mysteries and no promises

Last edited:

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I would think rust free non-running would have the most value out of your list.
Body work is time consuming and expensive to get it right.
Early Broncos are simple mechanically.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It depends...

Case by case on weather it being a runner adds value. And to that, how well will it run? Sitting that long, expect a few stuck valves, stuck rings, etc. Anything with a timing belt, don't even crank the engine over, sell as-is. Even spinning the starter can take out a belt and trash an engine. If there is something very original, and you mess up the originality for the sake of getting it running, you are burning dollar bills to look for pennies. I've seen stored engines get destroyed by getting them running on bad gas as well. Varnished fuel sticks a valve that smacks a piston and engine goes boom, at idle.

But for the right vehicle, running and moving under it's own power. Yes, it will add value. Typically not collector stuff. Not original, been run hard and retired. Already has a handful of bailing wire repair jobs, so a little more won't hurt. And even if you get it running, will it run good enough to add value? Knocking, smoking bad. At least the buyer will know what they are getting.

If there is paying someone to get it running, there isn't any money in that. The only hope of increasing value is if you do your own labor, for free. There will be a stack of cash to get stuff running as well. Just the basics of a good battery and enough of a fuel system to hear it idle will be a couple hundred bucks. Per vehicle.

I can only guess what this collection is. My guess is a couple might be worth putting some effort into, most not.
There is no guarantee that it will add value, and a fair chance you can hurt value.