• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust in Floor Need Help!

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Ok so I am seeing some rust on my drivers floor pan. How can I stop this before it spreads like cancer? I just need something for now as I am not going to be working on the bronco until money allows. I believe the most common rust spots are rockers, below the front windshield, floors, back tail gate am I missing any where else? This Bronco is pretty rust free from what I can see. I was thinking about this stuff https://www.rustbullet.com/automotive Has anyone used this. From what I read you just paint over the rust? Pros / Cons Thanks.

Attachments

• floor-rust.jpg
    floor-rust.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 122

75302auto

I've used POR 15 on my C10 trucks and its worked very well so far. 2-3 years later, it still hasn't come back thru.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
That's not bad at all. Most stuff I deal with is much worse.

As stated previously, por-15, rust bullet, etc will seal that up if applied properly. I'd clean it well and apply whatever rust sealer you decide. I personally prefer por-15 along with their metal etch for a repair such as yours. Just don't get any on yourself because nothing will wash it off. It wears off when your skin naturally sheds.

Secondly I'd find where the water is coming from and fix that as well.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Hey guys thanks for the info. I have one more ?. In the future (way future ;D) I plan to do a full resto and have the car blasted . Would the present a problem for that? I sure they can just blast that stuff off or not?

Thanks

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks like that floor has been replaced at some point? I would use a rust inhibitor that reacts with and locks up the rust. Anything with osphoric acid works well, Then just a sealer primer if you are going to have it media blasted at some point in the somewhat near future.

Once blasted you can assess the workmanship on the floor replacement and decide if you want to replace with a more OEM style floor pan.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Looks like that floor has been replaced at some point. I would use a rust inhibitor that reacts with and locks up the rust. Anything with osphoric acid works well, Then just a sealer primer if you are going to have it media blasted at some point in the somewhat near future.

Once blasted you can assess the workmanship on the floor replacement and decide if you want to replace with a more OEM style floor pan.

As far I as I know the floor has not been replaced but who know. If these old broncos could talk. I know if was a 3 on the tree and it was converted to floor shifter....;D

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
As far I as I know the floor has not been replaced but who know. If these old broncos could talk. I know if was a 3 on the tree and it was converted to floor shifter....;D

It looks too flat to me and it also looks like welds along the tranny cover? Might just be a photo illusion due to the rust and dirt? I would get it all cleaned up with a wire brush wheel and then post another pic.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
It looks too flat to me and it also looks like welds along the tranny cover? Might just be a photo illusion due to the rust and dirt? I would get it all cleaned up with a wire brush wheel and then post another pic.

Yeah I will have to clean it up this weekend and take some more pics;D

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you SPRAY the KBS/POR/whatever it will come off with sandblasting. If you Brush it on it will take forever to come off with sandblasting.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
That's not bad at all. Most stuff I deal with is much worse.

As stated previously, por-15, rust bullet, etc will seal that up if applied properly. I'd clean it well and apply whatever rust sealer you decide. I personally prefer por-15 along with their metal etch for a repair such as yours. Just don't get any on yourself because nothing will wash it off. It wears off when your skin naturally sheds.

Secondly I'd find where the water is coming from and fix that as well.

and don't get it on your hootis:-X I have a gallon of rust bullet that I have had for 10 years and still haven't used it:-[ just curious if it works good