• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust Pits in Floor

71HorseInLB

I have a lot of surface rust and small rust pits in bed of my Bronco. I will ultimately will be covering with heat/soundproofing material and carpet. So what is the best course of action hear. Have began sanding/brushing out the surface rust but what if anything do I need to do about the best? I’ve hear everything from simply spraying with rust reformer to sandblasting/etching/primer/.... So given appearance is really not of importance here, what’s simplistic and cost effective method but also insuring that I’m not missing something that will rear its ugly head in future. BTW I'm in Southern California so salt\water is not a big problem.

https://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=36962&cat=500

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
BTW I like be in Southern California so salt\water is not a big problem[/QUOTE]

Dont you go to the beach? It's in the air if you're anywhere near the coast.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For pits some might recommend something serious like POR-15 or similar, but I'm not sure I'd encapsulate it with something that thick at this point. I'd probably wire brush/scrub/sand/scrape the main stuff clean, then paint it with rust-reformer primer. I've had really good luck with that on surface rust just shy of pitting, so don't know how it would react with true deep pits, but guessing they're not so deep or you'd be talking about replacing the panels.
I bet the reformer stuff (I've used Rustoleum lately with great results) would be a reasonably long lasting and simple (and relatively inexpensive) way to do it where you could use it as the primer for another coat of paint, or just leave it as is and then see how it's held up a few years from now the next time you have the carpet up for some reason.

Others might have more info on the POR-15 type products, so can give you a better recommendation in that regard. I've just had such good luck with external uses of the primers (even external, where epoxies are not supposed to last in the sun) that I use them a lot more now.

Good luck.

Paul

matts460

I like POR-15. Its never let me down. My 77 body was stripped of all its paint and sandblasted inside the tub before I got it. I POR-15 the entire body inside and out. Used there primer and painted it too. That was in 2012. Guess what? No rust. I drive on gravel and get occasional rock chip. They never get through the POR-15. If you know how to read and can follow directions it wont let you down. Remember this, anytime you wash your Bronco, water WILL get into the back between liftgate and tailgate and soak your carpet or worse get trapped under rubber mat. Even if your carful water will get your floor eventually, it never fails. Cool thing about that stuff is I always use a brush and it never leaves any brush strokes it always flattens out.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Before you put much effort into it you should make sure it is not too bad.
Take a screwdriver and try to push it through any suspect spots in the floor with your hand, if it does not go through the metal is solid enough you do not need to replace it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Before you put much effort into it you should make sure it is not too bad.
Take a screwdriver and try to push it through any suspect spots in the floor with your hand, if it does not go through the metal is solid enough you do not need to replace it.

X2.... don't do more than you have to

MikeCon

Quick floor repair

My drivers side floor was rusted from inside. Guess carpet was holding moisture..quick easy repair for driver quality not restoration in my case was as follows:
Hit with wire wheel.
Spray with rust reformer.
Fiberglas with 6o\z cloth (use Matt if sealing larger holes) and polyester resin..
Will last as long as needed and can easily be cut out when you get around to replacing pan.

OP
OP

71HorseInLB

Thank you all for the advice. Did screwdriver test in several questionable areas and all good. Now more wire wheel and sanding and then trying the rust reformer. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk