• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust Prevention Advice Please

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I just moved to Gold Beach, OR. ~1/2 mile from the beach on the Rogue River.

I have not brought my rust-free '69 here yet, looking for covered storage to rent which is looking pretty bleak... most are taken for boat storage.

My other option is to park it outside with a high quality cover on it. So the question is, will the cover provide adequate protection or can I expect gradual degredation/rust over time?

FYI, I will never drive it on the beach. Thanks in advance! ?:?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats on the move to the SW corner of the state. I love it down there.

You're pretty close to the salty stuff...short of indoors, I wouldn't really trust it to be in the clear if it's outside, whether it's covered or not. Humidity and dew and salt are the enemy, and the Oregon Coast is pretty much stacked on all three variable for prime rust growth. You don't have any inland towns to get storage space in that are close enough to be convenient (like Coquille is to Bandon or Toledo is to Newport), so is there a chance you could build something on your property for the EB? Who doesn't need a shop, and if you have one, who doesn't need a bigger one?

Tobin

OP
OP
BronCowie

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Congrats on the move to the SW corner of the state. I love it down there.

You're pretty close to the salty stuff...short of indoors, I wouldn't really trust it to be in the clear if it's outside, whether it's covered or not. Humidity and dew and salt are the enemy, and the Oregon Coast is pretty much stacked on all three variable for prime rust growth. You don't have any inland towns to get storage space in that are close enough to be convenient (like Coquille is to Bandon or Toledo is to Newport), so is there a chance you could build something on your property for the EB? Who doesn't need a shop, and if you have one, who doesn't need a bigger one?

Tobin

Thanks for the quick response... I have a condo right on the Rogue with all open parking... no chance to build anything. I did get a line on enclosed storage south of town that I'll check on soon, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Jot's 4.jpg
    Jot's 4.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 66

Jakedog

You definitely want some type of indoor storage. Car covers tend to hold the moisture directly against the body of the vehicle. Regardless of being waterproof the moisture sneaks in underneath.

I told my wife that between the heat and the smoke from wildfires, she's going to come home from work and find me working on my bronco in the living room.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Enjoy it on the coast... Take it fishing...

Attachments

• 234823050_10220472930399385_8610405790247246704_n.jpg
    234823050_10220472930399385_8610405790247246704_n.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 37

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My only suggestion might go out the window if the drought conditions continue, but as long as it's socially acceptable to wash your rig, keep it covered but wash it with the good stuff every month or two. I was going to suggest every three months or so, but being close to the ocean is the death of sheet metal, so err on the cautious side and do it every month or two.

A good rinse-down with fresh water during a dry spell when it can dry out sufficiently, letting it dry then re-covering it should at the very least extend it's life for a long time.
And of course, leave no area un-coated with at least something. Frame, underside and drivetrain can get a new coat of rattle-can black every few years, with the tub maybe going one step further with rubberized undercoating. Just keep some sort of block on most of the metal surfaces.

And the best of luck in all things!

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Better watch out Mark I've read and heard salty air from the coast will rust metal fence post in too at the ground over time. Good luck bruh.

omureebe

A dehumidifier in storage is a GODSEND! Being in the Northeast and on the coast, I run a dehumidifier and some heat in the winter.

Scubadds

what about products like fluid film in any areas that you can get to?
Can't hurt to use those?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
OP
OP
BronCowie

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
the life of the mad man...

^^^THIS^^^ ... and so much more.

Again, I want to thank you all for your great input/advice.

DECISION MADE!...

I am 66 years old, owned this rust free Bronco ~30 years, and it will go with me to my grave, God willing.

After all, I have plenty of time to keep it preserved as best I can. Best I know this is a 1 Bronco town and I will make it a 2 Bronco town. ;D

...can't wait to get it here! :cool:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Our Bronco had always been parked indoors. Then when we moved to the Northwest, we parked the Bronco and camp trailer for the winter at my In-Laws.
I covered the Bronco really well. First with a Wild Horses cover, then a Covercraft "Noah" cover, then I wrapped the whole thing with a blue plastic tarp from Harbor Freight. I didn't want water to get in.

When I unwrapped the car to take it home, I found that everything that was chromed, had new rust, and everything that was made of aluminum, had been pitted and was covered with a white powder.

This is the most damage our Bronco had ever experienced.

Bottom line is, I had trapped moisture inside the covers.

The camp trailer looked completly normal.

Attachments

• IMG_7745.jpg
    IMG_7745.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 13