• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rusted Body

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Trying to decide what to do with my old rusted body. I ordered a reproduction body since mine ended up needing more than I think makes sense to repair. I need to decide what to do with the old rusted body. Any ideas or should I just scrap it? Below is a list of what it needs in replacement panels.

- Driver Fender is bent
- Front grill is bent slightly (most likely has bondo in it)
- Both inner Fenders are rusted
- One front wheel well is rusted
- Inner and Outer rocker panels are toast
- Driver and passenger front floor pans are rusted through
- Both rear wheel wells are rusted through
- Rear tail light housings are rusted through at the bottom
- Both rear quarters are rusted through at the bottom

Once I decide what to do with it, I will be selling some of the repair panels that I had already bought. Will help someone save some money on shipping if you are located in Texas.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Or a bar.......
f0a5216941ce4c86c0e309d012c64df3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
You're in Texas like me. A rusty body to us could be a piece of cake to what some of our Nothern brethren have dealt with. Post up some pics, someone could be interested in what you have.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Here are some of the pictures of rust. As you can see, rust has infiltrated most of the seems and then it was painted over years ago by a previous owner.

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 46

AZ73

Bronco Guru
That's not that bad. I replaced everything in front of the cowl, Driver's floor, Passenger kick panel and door post, both rockers, rear tail light housing pretty easily. And look what this guy is doing:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273249

But I get it if you don't want to do the work and you want to drive your truck sooner than later. Someone will take that off your hands.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
This is why I was on the fence about fixing the rust. Once I started doing the math on the repair panels needed, it got pretty expensive. I took it to a body guy that has repaired 2 or 3 rusted out Broncos and he said if it was his, he would buy the repro body. His thoughts were that I would end up repairing virtually every panel since most of the rust is in the seems and it would be a domino effect.

For example, the floor pans are both rusted, but the tunnel looks good, until you look at where it is welded to the floor pans and then it is rusted through. Same for the kick panels. Driver side fender is bent and has bondo all in it, as does the front grill. The list goes on and on...

I do understand how some would tear into this body work, but body work is not my expertise and I want it to look nice for the amount of money I am spending on it (I did not use "investing in it" on purpose).

The decision for me is do I take the time to brace the body when I remove it and build a body cart for it, or just pull it and scrap it???

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
rust

Get rid of it. Find a nicer one. You will have less money in it and a nicer rig in the long run. Not to mention the aggravation and the finished product.