• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ryan's EFI Harness - VSS Sensor Hook Up

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
It plugs into the VSS sensor which you have to buy. It goes into your D20. On one side of the VSS you put your old speedo gear on and the other you put your speedo cable into. Smple as that.

OP
OP
Leo73EB

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
[vent] Crap... It's the nickel and dimin' that's going to make me sell this GD thing in the near future...[/vent]

Thanks!

OP
OP
Leo73EB

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
I just heard that I don't need the VSS for an automatic tranny? Do you guys/gals agree with that statement?

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
My 5.8 w/C4 had problems without the VSS hooked up. When coming back from the Rubicon I was cruising at around 60-65mph. If I took my foot off the gas, the engine would make some noise and then sometimes die and start up again. Check engine light would come on. What I think was happening was because the computer didn't know how fast we were going, it didn't know how much to adjust the idle when I took my foot off the gas at that speed. So the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. At least that's what I read what one of the functions of the VSS is in the Probst book besides cruise control. Before installing the VSS I was able to keep the engine going and check engine light off by shifting into neutral when coasting or keeping my foot lightly on the gas.

Gil
GDDYAP

OP
OP
Leo73EB

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
gddyap said:
My 5.8 w/C4 had problems without the VSS hooked up. When coming back from the Rubicon I was cruising at around 60-65mph. If I took my foot off the gas, the engine would make some noise and then sometimes die and start up again. Check engine light would come on. What I think was happening was because the computer didn't know how fast we were going, it didn't know how much to adjust the idle when I took my foot off the gas at that speed. So the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. At least that's what I read what one of the functions of the VSS is in the Probst book besides cruise control. Before installing the VSS I was able to keep the engine going and check engine light off by shifting into neutral when coasting or keeping my foot lightly on the gas.

Gil
GDDYAP

Interesting... did you use the adaptor that's posted above to correct the issue, or did you do some junkyard modding to get it going? $40 is not all that much, but I don't want to wait on it if I don't have to.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Leo73EB said:
Interesting... did you use the adaptor that's posted above to correct the issue, or did you do some junkyard modding to get it going? $40 is not all that much, but I don't want to wait on it if I don't have to.

The vehicle acting erratic is a sign that you have a bad VSS. Nonfunctional cruise control is another but I don't know of too many EB's with CC. With that said I know the VSS is manditory for MASS Air engines. It needs to know how fast the truck is going and when it actually stops rolling. The computer reads this for fuel and air management.