• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand blasting axle housings

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am about the start tearing a frame down for painting. A local guy will sand blast, epoxy prime, and paint my frame for around $250-300. While he is doing that, I was thinking of taking the brake hardware off of the front and rear housings and let him do those as well.

My question is would you sand blast the housings? Will the force of the blasting put sand in the seals and possibly get inside the housing? I was going to wait to replace the axle seals and axle bearings after the blasting, but was not going to replace the pinion seals and bearings. I know I will need to close off the vent holes to keep sand out. Thanks for the input.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
I did mine, but while they were disassembled. You can tape off the seals which will help, but make sure you put a bolt in the venting on top. It's wide open.

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
We stripped ours down and made covers for the ends and center. Put a bolt in the vent hole. Sent it to the sand blaster. Upon its return we removed the covers and washed it out, put the covers back on and shot it with DuPont Imron.

They turned out awesome!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I was thinking of taking the brake hardware off of the front and rear housings and let him do those as well.

Pull the axles and take the 3rd out as a chunk, drain the oil, pull the axle seals and use a pressure washer inside and out to remove any oil and dirt. My housing had rust flake inside the tubes on the roof if you will so we ran kittens down them till it was clean then pressure washed the heck out of it.

We stripped ours down and made covers for the ends and center. Put a bolt in the vent hole.

I didn't sand blast mine but if I had, that's what I would have done.

Tim

wesleydax

we blast them both ways. if one comes in together we duct tape the crap out of the pinion and axles and plug the vent. never had a problem eaither way

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
A local guy will sand blast, epoxy prime, and paint my frame for around $250-300.

Wow, that is an unreal price. It will cost me at least that just for the sand blasting. Great Deal!!!!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A local guy will sand blast, epoxy prime, and paint my frame for around $250-300.

Wow, that is an unreal price. It will cost me at least that just for the sand blasting. Great Deal!!!!

Same here. Got a frame headed to the blasters now and he'll charge at least$200 just for the blasting part.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I dont like the idea this question came up here a while back I would take wire wheel and clean it up that way.When you sand blast sand gets every where I mean every where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru

He told me 160 to sand blast the frame and another $100 or so to paint it, but he is not a little sand blasting shop either. He mainly does large items such as heavy equipment and ibeams and such. He has about four sand pots that i believe he said holds about a ton of sand each so it will not take long to do it.

anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Bigbird

Just had my frame blasted and powdercoated inside and out for $500. He told me he'd do the axle housings for $125 each.