• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand blasting

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
I just purchased a pressurized sand blaster for blasting the inner fenders and whatever on my rig . I understand I should not use it on the outer body parts but what type of sand or media would you guys recomend I use for the inner fenders and frame rails and such ?

Brewbro21

You can still use it on the outer parts just be careful and don't blast in one spot for too long. How do you think they blasted before media blasting?

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I went to the local Trader Horn\ Waehouse Sales and bought 100lb bags of what the have as industrial sand with silica. I blasted the frame and all the other parts before paintin with POR 15. I have not tried any body parts because I have fiberglass body.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
brixter said:
I just purchased a pressurized sand blaster for blasting the inner fenders and whatever on my rig . I understand I should not use it on the outer body parts but what type of sand or media would you guys recomend I use for the inner fenders and frame rails and such ?
I would think that you would have an abrasives dealer near to you, I have one that I have been payiing the light bill for ,( I buy a lot of media) They are called Abrasives Northwest, You should go to the company nearest to you and have them show you all the samples and ask for their recomendations. I have no mty bags right now , just a full hopper, or I could tell you what I use.What is a the biggest town you live near, I can't tell buy your Bio, I can help you find one local.

OP
OP
brixter

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
Thanks for the replies ! I can get sand in 20 , 30 , or 60 . I am not sure what the numbers mean , but thats what i can get in 40 pound bags .

tejayandtina

zeusakira said:
I went to the local Trader Horn\ Waehouse Sales and bought 100lb bags of what the have as industrial sand with silica. I blasted the frame and all the other parts before paintin with POR 15. I have not tried any body parts because I have fiberglass body.
Be careful with the stuff containing silica, causes cancer.

jaxfirebonco

I'm in the process of blasting the frame now. My Local sand and sillica dealer suggested 30-45. Not sure what exactly the numbers mean but I used it for about a half hour yesterday and it was working well. A 100lbs cost $6.30 and I bought 300lbs.