• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand dune Broncos

Punisher

Im currently working on my 67 Bronco frame off trail rig project, I want to set it up for trails and rock crawling but I also like to go to the sand dunes, How do EBs do in the sand? I have owned a 98 f150 that did ok in the sand and I own a 79 Bronco and it does good in the sand but heavy, I want to know how The 67 will do once I get it finished?

Comments and pictures of the dunes and your EB, What do you think?

Thanks Phil

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
They do awesome! ;D Just air down and your good to go or get yourself a set of these
Where are you located at?

Attachments

• Paddles Tires2.jpg
    Paddles Tires2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The EB is quite a bit lighter than the BB so it should do better. If you don't go to the sand very often then just set it for trails and rock crawling and it will still do fine in the sand. Your not going to be launching off the top of the dunes and then sailing for 100 ft. in the air with it but it should still get around pretty well. If you go to the sand a lot then pick up a set of paddles and they will get you up to the top a little faster. Here is a link to a bunch of pics of EBs on the sand from SOB last year. All of the EB's pictured were able to at least get around and climb the dunes a bit since the group photos are at the bottom of a sand bowl. (I.E. All 200 Plus EB's had to climb the sides to get back out and no one had any problems that I am aware of)

http://www.broncofix.com/gallery/sob9

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
I spend a lot of time in the dunes with my lightly modified EB. It does great! I wheel with several guys with built up jeeps and they won't go some of the places I do. I say won't, not can't because I think they just do not want to try some stuff because they are not sure if they can make it due to their lack of power. Nothing beats a V8!!! especially the sound as you get into it to get over a dune or obstacle! ;D

FamilySteed

Loc.
New Berlin, WI
good spring set up?

What is a good spring/shock set up for in the sand? I was at the Michgan Dunes last summer and almost bounced my passangers out of the back? My bronco teetered(sp) back and forth as in front to back like a bucking bronco( get it? ;D ) I would like to get a better set up (3-1/2 lift) any ideas?

crab

Bronco Guru
If you haven't bought your suspention yet (even if you have). I'd strongly encourage a set of King Coil Over w/external res. These babies are going to run you right at $1000 for a pair but worth every hard earned cent! I don't have a set yet as I'm waiting to tear my bronco back down and pull the engine. You will have to cut off your old spring towers and build a new shock tower to mount your coil over to. We are currently prototyping a couple sets right now that we built inhouse. Along with the coil over, you would also want to invest in a set of air bump stops that will run you around $400-500pr

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FamilySteed said:
What is a good spring/shock set up for in the sand? I was at the Michgan Dunes last summer and almost bounced my passangers out of the back? My bronco teetered(sp) back and forth as in front to back like a bucking bronco( get it? ;D ) I would like to get a better set up (3-1/2 lift) any ideas?
Generally speaking this is what you will get if it is set up for rock crawling using a soft suspension. If I was really energetic I would put the Superlift springs under mine each time I go to the sand that are in the garage. They are really stiff though and hurt the flex. On the sand though they ride really well. The Coilover suspension Rob mentioned above has a lot of flexibility in it to adjust it for different types of terrain and given a bigger budget that is probably what I would/will run. I have too many other upgrades in line before that though and mine works well for the majority of what I do. (I just have to slow down a little on the washboards in the sand now)

OP
OP
Punisher

Punisher

Awesome thanks for that link, I live in Utah Live about 2 hours away from the dunes in Utah and about the same from the dunes in Idaho, I will be doing mostly trails and rock but go to the dunes once or twice a year. Saleing my banshee but will still go and just drive the Bronco. I have more fun that way anyway.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
SaddleUp said:
Generally speaking this is what you will get if it is set up for rock crawling using a soft suspension. If I was really energetic I would put the Superlift springs under mine each time I go to the sand that are in the garage. They are really stiff though and hurt the flex. On the sand though they ride really well. The Coilover suspension Rob mentioned above has a lot of flexibility in it to adjust it for different types of terrain and given a bigger budget that is probably what I would/will run. I have too many other upgrades in line before that though and mine works well for the majority of what I do. (I just have to slow down a little on the washboards in the sand now)

Why don't you just throw another set of shocks up front on those hoops when you go out to the sand? That would be a bit easier than swapping the coils. My BC 3.5" set up works really well in the wash board and whoops with duals. With singles it was pretty ugly lets just say the bumpstops took a beating ;D when I have the coin to spend on shocks I'll go with a nice single king or bilstien adjustable set up but for right now the duffs duals will have to do %)

FamilySteed

Loc.
New Berlin, WI
shocks?

ok, so it sounds like i have a fairly flexible suspesion now. i really don't have the budget for nice coilovers, but i like the idea! i do have a 3-1/2 lift now that was put on by the PPO, no clue what kind. What about some better shocks? cage shocks for example?

crab

Bronco Guru
From my experiance in the sand (probably spent more time in the sand then 90% of the other guy here being born and raised IN the sand), the first thing I would upgrade would be a set of long travel shock hoops. The number one failure in dune running is fatigued shocks from overheating. The fluid becomes very thin and bypasses the valves. With a long travel shock hoop you not only can run dual shocks to double the fluid capasity in the shocks but the longer shock body will also gain volume. I would stay away from shocks such as Rancho/Trailmaster ext. I have had nothing but problems with them. I'd go cheap and get a set of Duffs/Cage/Doetsch for around $40per shock. Also try to find a shock with at least a 5/8" piston shaft. The second upgrade I would do is a set of extended radius arms. A must for any off road use. The longer arms will give you more travel bouncing through the woops in the sand and provide a much smoother ride overall. Not to mention all the benefits on the trail. You can do both upgrades for around $1000 if you do the install yourself which can easily be done in a weekend.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've posted some pics of a friend's EB here before, but here they are again in case you want some more ideas for coilovers/mounts, etc. Not as glamorous/glitzy as the green MI dune Bronco, but it still works very well. This truck has seen a lot of Glamis dune duty and also lot of fast desert work (similar needs to sand dunes in terms of suspension).

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 57

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TJK74 said:
Why don't you just throw another set of shocks up front on those hoops when you go out to the sand? That would be a bit easier than swapping the coils. My BC 3.5" set up works really well in the wash board and whoops with duals. With singles it was pretty ugly lets just say the bumpstops took a beating ;D when I have the coin to spend on shocks I'll go with a nice single king or bilstien adjustable set up but for right now the duffs duals will have to do %)
I've thought aboyt trying that. If I wasn't leading the trail runs into the mountains where I want my suspension to really flex well the same weekend then I might do it.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
SaddleUp said:
I've thought aboyt trying that. If I wasn't leading the trail runs into the mountains where I want my suspension to really flex well the same weekend then I might do it.

So what would keep your suspension from flexing the same by adding another shock? Is it just shock bind at the bushings? Ive only flexed mine out with duals on so I wouldn't know if mine flexes more or less with one or two shocks. I guess I should flex it our running single and see what it results in.
You should give the duals a try in the sand and see how it works for you. It would only take you 5-10 mins to pull them before you head out to lead the trail runs ;D