• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you clean sand blasted metal before epoxy?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been reading various threads on multiple websites about priming sand blasted metal. I have the underside of the tub blasted and it is either perfectly bare metal gray or has a very slight red in a few areas the gun couldn't blast perfect but those areas are clean.

Some people are saying they wash it with a dawn and water mix first and blow it all off real good to prevent flash rust, then use a wax and grease remover before prime.

Some say do not use a wax and grease remover, just wipe with a dry cloth.

Other say wax and grease remover only, no soad/ water rinse

I am thinking the wax and grease remover only method is the best way to remove the sand blast dust before prime.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would use a good wax and grease remover as well. Clean it several times.That should get you a good surface for epoxy primer.

elan

Loc.
s
Continue cleaning until the cotton rags have no residue on them. Now we are finding paper towels are not getting things clean. It's almost as though it leaves a residue/film behind. To prove this, try cleaning windows with Costco paper towels.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The trick to using water for cleaning carbon steel like that is to use boiling hot water, that way it evaporates before it has time for rust.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I used Dawn and water mixed in a bucket and rubbed with a red scuff pad followed by clean, dripping wet terry cloth dish towels before I epoxy primed mine. After the soapy water it was rinsed with clear water soaked dish cloths. That was followed with a thorough drying with an electric leaf blower, which heats the air somewhat from the motor heat. That was followed by spraying it down with 90% rubbing alcohol followed by a wipe down with dry dish towels, then another drying with the leaf blower. On any sections that had oil residue I degreased before blasting as well as before the Dawn wash. On any parts that didn't have places for water to hide I rinsed them with a hose after the soapy water wash. When dry I mixed the primer and shot it so it couldn't flash rust.
Mark.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the idea of water rinsing the sand out of the cross members and what not so it dont get stirred up with the paint guns air, but dont feel like I am willing to throw water on my fresh steel.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I found acetone works well, blow all the dust off then spray and wipe down with acetone...

durwood71

I blow the dust off with air hose then put PrepAll wax and grease remover in a spray bottle and spray it all down, then blow that dry with air hose and prime. Never had a problem with doing it this way, always turns out just fine.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I agree w Durwood. Also, once you have done this, wear rubber gloves. The oil in your skin will transfer to the metal.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Yes on the gloves....always! wipe down with a cleaner ment for painting like prep-all. Use lint free rags (like cotton scraps sold as rags in the paint department at home depot)and wipe and wipe and wipe until the rags doused in prep all stays clean. If it were a dash or a body panel i would still sand with 320 followed by a red scotchbrite pad followed by a wipe down with a prep all.

I always paint with a epoxy primer mixed as a sealer....basically thinned out epoxy primer. This allows the topcoat to lay down nice and flat because the epoxy primer layed down nice and flat because it was thinned out. Not sure if your product of choice allowes your primer to be mixed as a sealer or not?

Epoxy makes a great primer expecially if it can me mixed as a sealor. Epoxy primer can be used to paint over alot of older style paints. Can be sprayed over body filler. And also works as a etch primer over bare metal. Its a win win all over.....expecially when you can thin it out and shoot as a sealor. Saves having to have a ton of products because it does it all

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I have been reading various threads on multiple websites about priming sand blasted metal. I have the underside of the tub blasted and it is either perfectly bare metal gray or has a very slight red in a few areas the gun couldn't blast perfect but those areas are clean.

Some people are saying they wash it with a dawn and water mix first and blow it all off real good to prevent flash rust, then use a wax and grease remover before prime.

Some say do not use a wax and grease remover, just wipe with a dry cloth.

Other say wax and grease remover only, no soad/ water rinse

I am thinking the wax and grease remover only method is the best way to remove the sand blast dust before prime.

Use the thinner that is listed with the paint you plan on applying and a lint free cloth (plain white tshirts work well). If the paint you will use list a cleanup thinner, use it as it will be cheaper than your mixing solvent usually.

Water on bare metal is asking for trouble or more work.