• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

sand/media blasting a rolling chassis

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
So I've got my body off the frame and engine being rebuilt. C4, Dana 20 and all other chassis parts are still on the frame and are not being rebuilt because they are in good shape. I plan to media blast everything I can. Since I'm going down to bare metal I don't think POR-15 is necessary so I'm going to spray it with a nice PPG epoxy primer then a chassis black coat

Question is: Can I blast the Dana 20 exterior, drive shafts, U-joints, steering linkages, knuckles, etc. without causing problems? I don't want glass beads working their way into the internals of the Dana 20 or C4. I assume they are sealed in such a way to prevent debris from entering during activities such as mudding, creek crossings and normal daily driving so I am thinking this should not be a problem.

What do ya'll think?

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I would wrap the engine/trans/t-case with plastic, tape the u-joints, tie rod ends and other items like that up real good and then blast/prime. Remove the tape and plastic and clean those items with a wire brush and brake cleaner. Then prime those spots and paint.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193571

Dude, I just looked though your build thread. Nice job! I'm about to start a build thread myself. But it's going to be more like a reassembly post since I forgot to take pictures while I was tearing it all down.

I think you're right about taping it up. I'd rather those parts be dirty than F'd up from the blasting.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
just my opinion, but you have it torn down so far already that i'd remove the drivetrain and do it right. i'd hate to get it back together and later wish i had went the extra mile.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Do it right the first time, you only have a couple more hours of labor to do that at this point. If you do it later it will cost you much more! Plus your 'frame off' will won't really be a 'frame off' when your done if you don't...

Pat B

Whatever media you decide to blast with will find it's way into the transfer case, tranny and engine. It doesn't matter how well you may have masked. It'll find a way.

My two cents is pull the power train and manually scrub and wash.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I do not recommend blasting assemblies like that other than for a couple very isolated spots. Blasting everything will make it very hard to prevent entry of the grit into places you DO NOT want it to be.

That shit gets EVERYWHERE!

I had a guy want me to put a Bronco on my lift and blast the entire frame, under side of body, etc. all completely assembled with body, interior, drive train. He figured we could just "seal it up". I passed on that job and encouraged him to not look further from someone who would actually do it!