• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

satin finish paint?

nyhillbilly

Loc.
Canton, MI
im wanting to paint my rig in something like a olive drab green or something of that sort, but do not want a high gloss. i also don't want a flat paint that i will have to scrub to get the dirt and oil off of like primer, so im looking for a satin type finish or smooth but very low shine. i would like to paint it my self, i have painted some with acrylic gloss so i have some experience, but it is a trail rig so it doesn't have to be perfect.

what paint do i use, enamel, acrylic something else, one or two part, is there a technique to thin the clear coat so that it isn't shinny?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
When you go to your autobody supply store tell the what you want to do and they will put flattening agent in whatever paint you choose. It is not a problem getting it semi gloss or very flat depending how much they add into your paint.

There are a lot of vehicles that have lower moldings painted that way. Mercedes bumpers for example so you can get pretty much any color. Have fun ! :)

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
You can buy a clear coat that is semi flat in shine. I have used it on the interior of a mustang I painted for a friend. It was made by PPG.

When adding a flattening agent to a single stage paint you have to be careful with how many coats you apply. The more you apply the shinner it gets. I know this was the case for the semi black I bought from the paint store for my mustang. This makes touching it up pretty hard with out showing signs of a blend.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Good info. Also you can't buff it because it will bring the gloss back too.

For a trail rig the cheapest would be a single stage and add the flattening agent when you add the hardner. It will look like regular glossy paint until it dries so don't freak out when you are shooting it. You will want to mix a very small amount to check the gloss. They might have a sprayout panel at the paint jobber to check.
For a single stage paint the more flattening agent you add the more coats it will take for coverage. You might have to add 60% flattening agent to get a semigloss look to it. Flattening agent is kind of milky and when hardner and reducer added it gets kind of clearer. Might want to check into going with basecoat /clearcoat. 2 coats of base and 2 coats of flattened clear. That's what I do when I need a semi or flat color.

Another option would be use colored sealer and leave it in sealer. All major paint manufacturers have them. Make sure you use an epoxy primer so water doesn't get under the sealer. You should be fine with sealer but use the epoxy under it just in case.

OP
OP
nyhillbilly

nyhillbilly

Loc.
Canton, MI
hey im glad you brought up the polishing, i would like to be able to put some kind of sealer so the mud doesn't bond to the paint when it dries and making it hard to wash.

these paints your talking about, can they be sealed like i want or am i just stuck washing the pee out of it?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The sealer I'm talking about is kind of like a primer . It's applied to new parts after sanding/scuffing or if you break thru spots of primer. You wait till it's flashed off and then go with paint without sanding. If you wait like 24 hours you need to sand it before paint.

Is the sealer your asking about a wax? Yes you can wax it and wash flattened paint. You just can't buff it with a buffer without bringing some of the shine back to it.

Rockmnky

Look at Kustomshop.com , in the left hand menu click Hot Rod Flatz.
It's a urethane paint so it is really tough. As you can see there is a lot
of cool colors , and metalic's.This paint does have satin look to it,not flat.
hope this helps.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
they have a clear urethane for the hot rod flatz did know if you saw it or not

OP
OP
nyhillbilly

nyhillbilly

Loc.
Canton, MI
they have a clear urethane for the hot rod flatz did know if you saw it or not

im reading more on this, but is the the urethane a 2 part paint, base and clear coat? and does it apply like a enamel, multiple base and multiple clear? for a trail rig that is sure to get allot of tree rubs and brush marks, what would you recommend as far as coat application ?

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
we use an automotive grade CRU for sealing our interior and garage floor finishes. We put on a gloss clear and then can come back with just a satin CRU to give it a nice satin finish. Should have the same effect on a gloss finished paint job.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it is a single stage urethane, two part paint (color and hardener). click on the tech sheet on paint and the clear. you dont have to use the clear if you dont want it. the clear is also single stage with a satin finish. tech sheet states two coats. my buddy did not use the clear on his golf cart.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We used Daimont matte black single stage urethane. It is formulated to be matte black, and doesn't get diluted to produce a flatenned effect (so coverage is not an issue).
The finish is smooth and very tough, but when you do scrach a matte black paint job there is NO buffing it out, I'm not sure I would do it again.

Attachments

• P7270074.JPG
    P7270074.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P9080007s.jpg
    P9080007s.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 43