• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scott Drake coil retainers need bending?

joshua

Contributor
First off I hate using after market. As I’m sure most do. It always takes fiddling. My old retainers are fine. Just rusty.

But I saw these on eBay both 40 bucks shipped to my door. I thought what the heck. They look the same. Not like me. I always try and reuse all the original parts that I can, well because they are correct and work. And I’m not Mr. Money bags.

I was just being lazy and figuring the 40 was worth the trade in my time to clean them up.

Anyway can someone please tell me if that lip that holds the spring to my axle needs to be bent over more? Or if you run these has yours been just fine?

The old one is 90ed and the new one is at a 45 Is this sufficient? Trying to be really safe on this build because for the first time I have my kids riding in a project I’m putting together.

Attachments

• IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4774.jpeg
    IMG_4774.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4775.jpeg
    IMG_4775.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 21

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
use the oem, those drakes are not right. I tried them and spring sat cocky. This was 10 years ago, strange they are still selling them. Black spray paint and good to go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed. The originals usually clean right up, unless they are rusted through where we can’t see.
While I don’t think the springs would pop out of the new ones under normal circumstances, any four wheeling where you would flex the suspension, I would suspect you would eventually find the sweet spot where one pops out.

catfan

Contributor
If you're going to have stampings and molds made you should make sure the parts are right.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Knew it. God it’s always 💩

Ya I’ll just clean um up, the old ones. Hopefully I can return the evil bay units.

Thanks gentlemen.