• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scout steering box

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Scout steering box on my race Bronco, I believe purchased from Wild Horses many years ago. I need to have an extra on hand as damage to the sector shaft is pretty common from hitting rocks at speed.
They seem to be pretty rare. Can anyone confirm which box WH sold back in the day? Hoping Paul will chime in. He knows everything! Thanks, Mark

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You got a picture of it Mark? I meant to take a look at it the other day but got caught up in working on the van.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Phil that was an epic trip! You guys overcame, persevered and won! Awesome performance all the way.
I’ll see if Randy will get a pic for me. Bronco still down at his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
sector shaft is the same as a standard power steering bronco box. the steering spool is reverse direction of a Bronco Box but you swap in a Bronco spool assembly to reverse the direction. There was a Chevy that had a reverse spool fitting the same box but I don't remember which one any more. Just getting old I guess. I do know its buried in the archives here 35 years ago or so. is your scout box Scout rotation or Bronco rotation? scout boxes are rarer than Bronco Boxes. which makes them pretty rare.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Rusty! The box is inside the frame pitman forward. Must be Bronco rotation.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
that sounds straight scout box converted to Bronco it would be outside the frame Pittman back like a bronco box. You would have to drill the frame for the odd scout box pattern.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
at least you didn't get stuck with this to begin with, old F-100 inside the frame rails. I've had to just make it work. Good luck, and my boys go back this Fri to move into their rental for Fall semester at Chico St as Mechatronic Engineers ;D:cool:

Attachments

• ported ps box.jpg
    ported ps box.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 70

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Rusty! The box is inside the frame pitman forward. Must be Bronco rotation.

Hmm....I've never seen a Scout p/s box mounted on the inside of the frame. The Scout II boxes (72-80) looked just like the Bronco boxes except the mounting hole configuration was backwards. I presume that's what you have?

Todd Z.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Hmm....I've never seen a Scout p/s box mounted on the inside of the frame. The Scout II boxes (72-80) looked just like the Bronco boxes except the mounting hole configuration was backwards. I presume that's what you have?

Todd Z.

What was the power steering Stroppe was putting in the broncos before Ford stepped up to the plate? no one seems to document that stuff.

Jedhead

The car scrapper at my yard just brought 2 IH , believe 79 scouts, let me know if you are looking , will check it out

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Todd Z.

Hey Todd you’re right I have it backwards.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
at least you didn't get stuck with this to begin with, old F-100 inside the frame rails. I've had to just make it work. Good luck, and my boys go back this Fri to move into their rental for Fall semester at Chico St as Mechatronic Engineers ;D:cool:

Nice! They probably won’t recognize the place. It’s a ghost town compared to how it usually is this time of year with all the kids moving in.

Kbpony

I have a scout II box laying in my shop. The input shaft seal was leaking, so needs a rebuild. I found a replacement for the scout. I’m just keeping it around for a core since they are somewhat hard to find. Pm me if you want it, I’m sure we can work it out.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you everyone. Kpony, I may need that but let me check and see if Viperwolf has one . Andrew I'll see if the shaft is twisted. The Bronco is still down at Rapido's house.
Mark

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if I was racing these things I would either use a 4 x 4 x 2 box or the XTerra Saginaw box with the Cherokee sector shaft. the scout and the early Bronco have the same problem when the sector shaft turned all the way right or left and a tire gets a hard impact the worm block snaps off the last tooth on the sector shaft and ruins the bore of the power piston in addition to the fact you cant steer anymore. just like you don't power load the front axle with the steering cranked hard over or you risk breaking a front u-joint. I have 2 bronco boxes ruined by a sheared sector shaft tooth. One i did coming off an embankment steering hard over and bouncing on the bottom of the embankment and one i bought for parts. I always wanted to get the bores micro welded or everdure repair and then rehoned. paid dearly for replacement sector shafts.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, those are some good ideas. Haven't had a box lock up just twisted the sector shaft. Still an expensive repair.

RH

I have a scout box that’s been converted to bronco rotation, the guy I bought it from said it was good, I’ve never used it. The price would be right, If you want it give me a shout.