• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seat Headrest question

valveamp

I've been searching through the archives, here, looking for information regarding installing Mustang seat headrests on a Bronco. I'm looking at a set of '69 Mustang seats that have headrests installed. It's my understanding from what I've read that that the original seats in my '71 Bronco are already set up to accept stock Mustang headrests. I just need to take off the backs and install the brackets in the seat frames, then exchange any trim h/w that may be on the headrest, like around the hole where the headrest support goes into the seat vinyl. Also, the original headrest should have a single flat support that goes into the seat. Do I have all this correct? I don't want to spend this kind of money just to find out it won't work or requires significant modification to make it work (been there done that). Also, my seats are parchment color. Is it possible to buy just the vinyl material to use to recover the headrest? I have only bought full seat covers that were already cut and ready for installation. Not sure where to get just the material. From the photo I've seen, the seats may already be parchment, but they are dirty. Not sure parchment was a Mustang color.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yes your correct. seems to be a very simple swap/install.

Just call a local upholstery shop and tell them you are looking for vinyl for a bronco in parchment, then go buy and look at the vinyl swatches they have. They may have parchment but only in smooth texture or or some texture that doesn't match.

I wouldn't be afraid of the vinyl dye either, some of them work quite well with good prep.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Thanks, Bigmuddy (named from the movie Big County?) Good to hear. I'm headed over in a few minutes to look at the seats. If all the h/w is there and they are not rust buckets, I will pick them up. The photo shows the seat vinyl is bad, but I don't see any signs of rust.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Ford car headrests

Headrests out of a ford car in the 70s pick your part cheap bolt right cheap but need to re form the foam. Foam this old is bad anyway .Bench seat same headrests mounting plate haven’t looked a Lincoln headrests but might be the same mounting plate and easy to find

Attachments

• 7876D10A-2147-47C2-A0F6-95C5B4438A01.jpg
    7876D10A-2147-47C2-A0F6-95C5B4438A01.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 5B7E14CC-52CB-4260-BE9A-4A26AD488312.jpg
    5B7E14CC-52CB-4260-BE9A-4A26AD488312.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 8F20302B-E087-4A51-9E6F-65350375E8EA.jpg
    8F20302B-E087-4A51-9E6F-65350375E8EA.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 76

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I used the '69 Mustang headrests. They fit and work perfectly. The passenger seat still folds forward and they look like they should have been made that way. The plastic insert is needed. So get those off the Mustang seats. The rest is already in the EB seat backs. The only work needed in the upholstery is cutting the hole. Your going to love them.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Thanks for all of the info and photos. I ended up getting the '69 Mustang headrests for free. I just had the buy the seats they were attached to :) . Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a complete set of '69 Mustang seats with headrests. Not great shape, but all there. I plan to start working on moving the headrests over next week. I'll need some Bronco parchment vinyl and some new foam to remake the headrests. I plan on using an auto upholstery shop to do that, way beyond my experience level. Not sure what to do with the leftover seats when I'm done. Maybe a Craigslist ad.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
You'll love the '69 Mustang headrests. They look good from any angle even 100 ft. from the Bronco. They also let the pass. seat fold against the dash. It's just another thing Ford could have put in EBs but didn't. Like 351Ws, role bars, 1973-'77 F150 steering columns, AM/FM stereo, etc. They had these parts but didn't care about Broncos enough to include them. I hope the 2020s have a higher priority.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Thanks for that recommendation, Jckkys. I know my wife is going to appreciate them. If it were up to her, I'd be adding airbags to the interior. :)