• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Security Console with Ipod / MP3/ hidden drawer

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I mocked up a new center console last week which is similar to the stereo center console Tuffy makes.... just much better..:cool:

The idea was to create a box that you could mount an amp on the inside / underneath with ports to plug in USB or RCA jacks from your iPhone, Ipad etc.

Along with that it would have the provision for a 12v power supply and a Ram mount for any other accessories you might want to add.

It also have a drawer under the bottom for whatever.. a pistol / wallet or whatever you might want to conseal. The drawer automatically locks whem you shut the lid. I added a shelf tucked inside for other items you might not want to get mixed up in the bottom of the console. Like your chewing gum, Skoal or whatever... I always hated digging around in the trash that accumulates in the bottom of mine.

I even added a gas strut to the lid so it stays open and stays closed when not locked. Works great.

However it needs a few tweaks to make it more freindly to manufacture and sell and be a little more cosmetically pleasing.. ;D

Anyway... I plan on dialing in the design and selling these if I can get enough interest. I am not going to post pics yet because it isnt as good as I want it to be right now.... I am very picky.... but I am redrawing a few parts today and could incorparate a few ideas if anyone has some cool ideas for a security box.

This is a heavy duty box... made from 14 ga and 11ga sheetmetal... It has a combination lock and a pry proof lid... thicker than the Tuffy boxes.

If you have some ideas lets here it... If I use them and you want a box I will offer you a discount.

Not sure where the price will fall but they wont be cheap... similar to the Tuffy box I am sure.

Greg

ChrisC74

I mocked up a new center console last week which is similar to the stereo center console Tuffy makes.... just much better..:cool:

The idea was to create a box that you could mount an amp on the inside / underneath with ports to plug in USB or RCA jacks from your iPhone, Ipad etc.

Along with that it would have the provision for a 12v power supply and a Ram mount for any other accessories you might want to add.

It also have a drawer under the bottom for whatever.. a pistol / wallet or whatever you might want to conseal. The drawer automatically locks whem you shut the lid. I added a shelf tucked inside for other items you might not want to get mixed up in the bottom of the console. Like your chewing gum, Skoal or whatever... I always hated digging around in the trash that accumulates in the bottom of mine.

I even added a gas strut to the lid so it stays open and stays closed when not locked. Works great.

However it needs a few tweaks to make it more freindly to manufacture and sell and be a little more cosmetically pleasing.. ;D

Anyway... I plan on dialing in the design and selling these if I can get enough interest. I am not going to post pics yet because it isnt as good as I want it to be right now.... I am very picky.... but I am redrawing a few parts today and could incorparate a few ideas if anyone has some cool ideas for a security box.

This is a heavy duty box... made from 14 ga and 11ga sheetmetal... It has a combination lock and a pry proof lid... thicker than the Tuffy boxes.

If you have some ideas lets here it... If I use them and you want a box I will offer you a discount.

Not sure where the price will fall but they wont be cheap... similar to the Tuffy box I am sure.

Greg

Greg - I think that sounds great. I would ask if possible have the same type, dimensional, etc... mounting points so that if we wanted to pull out our old Tuffy and go with the new and improved version it would be easy to do. I have been hoping you do this every time I get in my bronco and have to turn off the ignition b/c the key to my box is on the key ring. The other enhancements sound great also. Will it be powder coated? I bed lined my Tuffy and like that finish very much.

-Chris

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Tuff ( no pun intended ) to really make any suggestions without seeing it, but I understand your thoughts about not sending them yet.

Question: Is the lid padded.

Would it be possible to add a strip of wood in the right spots, so that if someone wanted, they could cover the box to match door panels, etc? I am assuming that the entire box is metal. This way you have something to staple to.

Look forward to seeing it.

Scott

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'm working on my console now. I'm making the following mods:

USB port in lieu of the 12v socket
Small LEDs in the front and the rear to light up the cabin when dark out. Switch operated.
And a bunch of switches with a distribution block built in to add various circuits. I'm going to run my halos and angel eyes off of some, my LED bar off another, etc.

I'm also removing the cup holders from the front bc my twin sticks interfere. I'm putting them on the rear. Might be interesting if you made that part modular.

Have you seen the max build command console? Mine will look similar to that when I'm done. I should have pics this week or next.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I'm in the market for a console and yours sounds perfect for my needs. I'll be following closely.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
On the powder coating question.... Yes they will be powder coated. I thought about offering them in a mini texture black, a wrinkle grey and a powder coat primer so if someone wants to paint themselves it would be ready to sand and spray.

I am going to put a pad on top but I am not sure what material yet... probably a canvas type material or a marine vinyl.

Greg

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I have been contemplating my needs for a console.

- portion under the dash would be open on the back, I would be able to just keep my EEC on the floor of the tunnel but it would be out of site
- mounting surface for Bauman controller
- mounting location for iPad mini mount and charger point
- hose / ducting to rear of console for heat / ac vents
- lockable storage for pistola that doesn't require key (think night stand gun box technology)
- lighted cup holders front and rear (lots of new Ford cars / SUVs have them and you can change color to suit your needs)
- hot chick in a bikini on demand button : )

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
Just a suggestion, but when I build mine I'm going to try and find a place to pick up just the components of a biometric fingerprint scanner so that I can build a pistol compartment next to my right leg. I think that speed up access and keep it secure enough that you could walk around at the campsite while the pistol stays in the truck.

chriswitt

I am also interested.... I'd consider this bottom drawer to store some tools. Ya know when you buy a craftsman tool kit and it comes in a nice organizer box to keep the sockets in place.... How about something like that? I cant stand hearing tools rattle around in the glove box or the steel ammo can that I use. My thought is that you only need a few sockets, few wrenches, universal screwdriver, fuses, pliers, maybe some other basics. Or maybe supply some of that black spongy foam to keep them from rattling around?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You may not have room in your design, but I stuffed a 6" Bazooka subwoofer in mine. It sounds/feels great and is a good use of space.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Greg - I think that sounds great. I would ask if possible have the same type, dimensional, etc... mounting points so that if we wanted to pull out our old Tuffy and go with the new and improved version it would be easy to do. I have been hoping you do this every time I get in my bronco and have to turn off the ignition b/c the key to my box is on the key ring. The other enhancements sound great also. Will it be powder coated? I bed lined my Tuffy and like that finish very much.

-Chris

Adding mounting holes that match would be simple if I had those measurements....

Anyone know what they are?

Greg

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Greg here's the start of mine. Just in mock up phase at this point.

y4a5ybyb.jpg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Here is a rendering of the latest version.... The front panel could be anything. I added some holes for power and switches but I thought about sending a blank cover so it could be custom drilled.

The cover also give access to the inside where you could mount an amp or whatever. It does not accept a stereo so I left that top area as a tray to hold your phone, cigarettes or whatever.

I put holes in the bottom of the sides to let any heat out that an amp might create.

Attachments

• Center Console.jpg
    Center Console.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 265

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Pretty slick! Wish I had waited before starting on mine.

One question though, won't the side opening prevent the passenger from accessing the storage? Maybe the traditional flip up would be better.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
It might. I thought it would be much easier for the driver since the lid was such a long travel the other way and my elbow always hits the lid when reaching into the box.

This is the way my F150 is and I like it better.

Greg.